tank raised clowns

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

parik

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
After my tank cycled I got 2 sm tank raised clowns. I followed the process of acclimating them to the tank and then put them inside the tank yesterday......I tried feeding them last night but they won't eat anything....I tried again this morning but nothing....I am afraid and don't know what to do...Please help.....

After my tank cycled.....I decided to place some fish in my tank....according to the LFS clowns would make a perfect start...so yesterday I bought 2 sm tank raised clowns and after acclimating them to the tank...I placed them inside the tank....I tried feeding them last night but they would not eat....I tried again this morning but no luck....I don't know what to do??? Please help.....

Assuming your tank is properly cycled, and your parameters are all good just give them time to adjust. Also it's sometimes best to check them in the store. This way you can choose the ones who are eating. Assuming your clowns are healthy there probably just settleing in. Try some frozen mysis, and sometimes TR clowns are adjusted to flake, if you haven't tried it already. Good luck, and don't worry im sure they'll come around.

Give them time. It sometimes takes several day for them to start. Right now they are stressed. I would not worry for the first week.
You say your tank cycled, what are you water parameters?

You may want to try hatching some live baby brine shrimp. My tank raised clowns love them.

You can get the eggs at a pet store, use a small cirtter cage ( ie. for hermit crabs) , siphon out some of your tank water , and within 24 hrs - Presto ! Wriggling swimming food for your guys to chase around and eat. It is more than they can resist.

Good luck

JG

The tank parameters are okay.....No ammonia or trites. Nitrates are at 10....pH is at 8.3.

I used one of these when my clowns were small

https://secure.bigalsonline.com/shopcart/shopcart.xml?tstamp=1084805616

THey just sat and grazed as the baby shrimp drizzled into the tank! You may want to switch to frozen natural foods too after they get going on the brine because I hear that the baby brine is hard on their little livers after a long periods of time, not sure if this is true or not, but you can switch to their reg food later just to be safe.

How did the hatchery thing work, and do the empty cyst go into the tank as well? Seems like a cool product, but does it work?

parik said:
The tank parameters are okay.....No ammonia or trites. Nitrates are at 10....pH is at 8.3.
Ya your good. Just give them a little time. You could always try a few drops of garlic juice in their food. It can stimulate a feeding response.

I use a flashlight and turkey baster. The baby brines are attracted to the beam of light shining through the tank and so collect in large numbers. Then use the turkey baster to slurp them out and into the main tank. You can drizzle the baster contents through a brine shrimp net if concerned about water parameters from the hatchery. Since the empty cysts settle to the bottom of the hatchery, very few if any make it into the main tank.

I also use a small air pump and airstone to keep the hatchery circulating. Not too much air flow though or the eggs collect at the sides of the hatchery.

JG

Hey Sixline I was about to ask the same thing. I think the empty cyst float and the small baby brine stay near the bottom. Is that correct Snapcrackler? I wonder if it could be used for small dwarf seahorses? Anybody have sea horses?

Back
Top Bottom