Tank Raised vs. Wild

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lasek2k1

Aquarium Advice Regular
I was wondering what you people think would be a better choice for clownfish.

I like tank-raised because they are hardier but I also want a wild clown so I have a better chance of pairing them up with an anenome.

And as for choice of clown, which would be better: an O. or a true perc. I'm going to add a bi-colored blenny down the road once my algae is where I want it to be. I perfer a perc becuase they stay a little bit smaller but I also would like the O. because I won't have to worry about the clown showing aggression to the blenny when he gets in.

I'm really in a predicament so any help would be greatful.
Thanks.

Not to change subject but I'd get the blenny first. lots of character. Why are you waiting for algae before getting blenny?

Tank-raised seem to do better than wild caught clowns. Tank-raised are very hardy, and healthier. Not too mention tank-raised aren't being taken from the ocean.

As far as a blenny with clowns I wouldn't see a problem with them. What size tank is it? Also Bicolor Blennies do very well in an established tank because they thrive with a good source of microalgae.

Go with tank-raised. Many people here (including myself) have had success with an anemone hosting a tank-raised clown. It is always a crap shoot though.

Looks like I'm going with tank raised. Thanks for the insight everyone.

On a side note, I'm going to get the blenny later because my algae isn't very 'developed' for him. My tank is in a well lit room with shades covering the windows and there is no direct sunlight on the tank. So the only algae I really have no is LOTS of diatoms. They even took over some of the hair algae. So I'm either going to get phosban today or just do a water change with distilled water from now on. So I really don't want my blenny feeding off diatoms. But thanks for your concern.

I would always go with tank raised fish over wild ones.

Someone told me not too long ago that some people capture fish by using poison! I just am horrifed by that! Thus I will never again look to buy wild fish again.

Whenever possible buying tank raise is the responsible thing to do as an aquarist. Not to mention the fact that they are hardier, are adapted to aquarium life, feeding is not a problem, and they are not being removed from a reef. As far as true percs or the ocellarous clowns that is a matter of preference, I think either one would do equally well. HTH, Skip

tank raised - for sure. Hardier , heathier, happier. Both percs and Oscellarus are nice, but I'm also a huge fan of the sebae clowns - they're really sweet.

Agree, tank raised for certain. For all the reasons already stated and more ofter disease free.

JPloman said:
Someone told me not too long ago that some people capture fish by using poison! I just am horrifed by that! Thus I will never again look to buy wild fish again.

It's called cyanide, but it isn't used to capture clownfish because they are so easy to catch by net, or even hand. But even without use of cyanide 90% of wild caught clowns die before making it to the lfs, and 90% of those don't make it past acclimation into the hobbyists tank. (Taken from 'The Concientious Marine Aquarist' by Robert Fenner.)

Wow...so basically 5% of wild clownfish captured survive. That sucks.

Wonder what the percentage of tank raised survivors are. I'm sure it is much higher.

Just for curiousity sake what parts of the world actually have percula clowns native to their waters.

Back
Top Bottom