Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-31-2005, 10:55 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Tank Raised vs. Wild

I was wondering what you people think would be a better choice for clownfish.

I like tank-raised because they are hardier but I also want a wild clown so I have a better chance of pairing them up with an anenome.

And as for choice of clown, which would be better: an O. or a true perc. I'm going to add a bi-colored blenny down the road once my algae is where I want it to be. I perfer a perc becuase they stay a little bit smaller but I also would like the O. because I won't have to worry about the clown showing aggression to the blenny when he gets in.

I'm really in a predicament so any help would be greatful.
Thanks.

Old 04-01-2005, 12:00 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Not to change subject but I'd get the blenny first. lots of character. Why are you waiting for algae before getting blenny?

Old 04-01-2005, 12:17 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Tank-raised seem to do better than wild caught clowns. Tank-raised are very hardy, and healthier. Not too mention tank-raised aren't being taken from the ocean.

As far as a blenny with clowns I wouldn't see a problem with them. What size tank is it? Also Bicolor Blennies do very well in an established tank because they thrive with a good source of microalgae.

Maiden's Hair, Calerpa, and Red Kelp macro algae.
X the Outsider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 11:08 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Go with tank-raised. Many people here (including myself) have had success with an anemone hosting a tank-raised clown. It is always a crap shoot though.
Old 04-01-2005, 04:17 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Looks like I'm going with tank raised. Thanks for the insight everyone.

On a side note, I'm going to get the blenny later because my algae isn't very 'developed' for him. My tank is in a well lit room with shades covering the windows and there is no direct sunlight on the tank. So the only algae I really have no is LOTS of diatoms. They even took over some of the hair algae. So I'm either going to get phosban today or just do a water change with distilled water from now on. So I really don't want my blenny feeding off diatoms. But thanks for your concern.
Coco Worm
Feather Duster
Cleanup Crew
21# LR
20#LS
----------------------------------
Coralife Aqualight
-36W 10000K
-36W Actinic
Coralife Super Skimmer 65
Aquaclear 50 filter
Aquaclear 20 ph
Marineland Visitherm 50W heater
lasek2k1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 04:37 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I would always go with tank raised fish over wild ones.

Someone told me not too long ago that some people capture fish by using poison! I just am horrifed by that! Thus I will never again look to buy wild fish again.
Old 04-01-2005, 10:50 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Whenever possible buying tank raise is the responsible thing to do as an aquarist. Not to mention the fact that they are hardier, are adapted to aquarium life, feeding is not a problem, and they are not being removed from a reef. As far as true percs or the ocellarous clowns that is a matter of preference, I think either one would do equally well. HTH, Skip
Old 04-04-2005, 07:07 PM   #8
JG
Aquarium Advice FINatic

tank raised - for sure. Hardier , heathier, happier. Both percs and Oscellarus are nice, but I'm also a huge fan of the sebae clowns - they're really sweet.
Old 04-05-2005, 12:17 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Agree, tank raised for certain. For all the reasons already stated and more ofter disease free.
Old 04-08-2005, 12:30 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to Morticus
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPloman
Someone told me not too long ago that some people capture fish by using poison! I just am horrifed by that! Thus I will never again look to buy wild fish again.
It's called cyanide, but it isn't used to capture clownfish because they are so easy to catch by net, or even hand. But even without use of cyanide 90% of wild caught clowns die before making it to the lfs, and 90% of those don't make it past acclimation into the hobbyists tank. (Taken from 'The Concientious Marine Aquarist' by Robert Fenner.)

1.0 Albino Burmese Python
0.1 California Kingsnake
0.1 Ball Python
0.1 Amelystic Corn Snake
Morticus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tan, wild

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com