Tank raised Vs. Wild caught

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

michealprater

Aquarium Advice Addict
Take a look at this thread and tell me what you think.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=2247&start=0

The author of the thread chose not to talk about the topic of tank raised vs. wild caught. I will respect his wishes and that is why I have started this thread for people who would like to discuss this touchy subject.

My opinion is, whenever it is possible I will buy tank raised. However sometime there are specimens that have not been successfully bred or raised in aquariums. If I do my research and feel I am up to the challange I will buy wild caught. Keep in mind the fish that I have in my tank are , maroon clowns, two damsels, a neon dottyback, and a yellow tang. Now I am not sure if these exact fish are tank raised, but I think they are all fish that can be. So that should show you where I stand. Lets hear what you guys think.

I think if the fish you want is available as tank raised, you should get it instead of wild caught. Even if it means parting with a few more $. The tank raised fish has a better chance of survival since it has spent its whole life in an aquarium. It will already be eating the kind of food that you're going to offer it.
However, if you feel the urge to keep the elusive snaggletoothed shagbat, which as we all know is not available tank raised, and you think you have a good chance of keeping it alive, then go for it.
I think the biggest crime is to impulse buy a fish without knowing its needs. You know...the guy who buys a purple tang, chunks it in a 10g tank, and trys to feed it carnivore pellets.
As I said, I'll buy tank raised if I can get it.
Logan J

Back
Top Bottom