Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-11-2012, 02:34 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote
Actinodiscus, or a blue mushroom Ricordea.
I call them "smooth" mushrooms.
Awesome! Thanx!

Old 10-11-2012, 06:59 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

So, I ended up keeping the crushed coral and not switching to sand and I removed all but one piece of lava and replaced it with base rock. From what I have read this was a good decision, now do I just take the crushed coral I have and put some on top of my base rock to start curing? I'm also using "purple up" to help speed the process

Old 10-11-2012, 07:11 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisc0930
So, I ended up keeping the crushed coral and not switching to sand and I removed all but one piece of lava and replaced it with base rock. From what I have read this was a good decision, now do I just take the crushed coral I have and put some on top of my base rock to start curing? I'm also using "purple up" to help speed the process
You can situate the crushed coral into the rock work like it might lay naturally. The bacteria will be water born and will find purchase within the porous base rock. This will happen over weeks and months as the bacteria multiplies. Since there should be no die off, I would not expect your tank to have a hard cycle. The purple up isn't a bad idea, but as said elsewhere, if it is coralline algae you are after, it is about calcium and alkalinity levels. Slow and stable is what you want your reef to be. Nothing happening fast, except coral growth and even that on its best day is pretty slow. Think carefully every time you dose the tank with anything except a good water change. Read what is in purple up. Same with B-Ionic, BSR sells the same basic supplement in a kit form. You will see that old time aquarists and public aquarium managers use targeted chemicals that can be tested for when maintaining a closed reef system. BRS is very good in making those pure chemicals available with easy to follow instructions.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:35 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanx for the info, I'll maintain a steady eye on what chemicals I add. I generally don't add any chemicals to the tank but I heard purple up was good for getting algae set up.

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com