Tank Relocation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adolfo

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone,

This is my first of possibly many posts... I'm moving cross country in the coming weeks (from L.A. to Detroit) and I would love to take my reef tank with me. My personal belongings are being shipped out via a Van Line and that'll take anywhere from 10-20 days with the holidays and all so I can't ship my tank with the rest of my stuff. I have a 50g acrylic tank, stand, canopy, and chiller. I have 3 fish, 4 corals, a few crabs and snails, 60 lbs. live rock, 40 lbs. live sand, and about 40 gallons of water. Does anyone have any advice as to how I should relocate my poor little guys 2,300 miles away? Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks!

tank.jpg

Attachments

• img_0031.jpg
    img_0031.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 19
  • img_0031.jpg
    img_0031.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 22
  • img_0031.jpg
    img_0031.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 18
if u are driving i would sell the fish and corals and empty my tank and take the liverock and put it in some tubs with some water and pack up the the tank and take it with me and then all u will have to do is restock your tank when u get to your knew home. Its better than having to buy tank and rock all over again

Sorry about the multiple images, couldn't tell if they were attached and can't figure out how to remove them.

Good luck. I have no experience with that, but it's sounding like you might consider starting over in Detroit. I'm sure someone will come along shortly to help you, but that's a real long trip, not to mention the setup after moving in. Heck, I'd guess LFS has coral, rock, and fish shipped to them from some far away place, so hopefully there'll be a solution offered for you.

Well I think your only alternative with the rock and livestock is to sell it or take it to an LFS. Problem with lfs is they are probably only going to want to give store credit. In this case you could use the credit to stock up on any dry goods or needed equipment to ship with your empty tank.

Even if you were to overnight the rock to your new address there is going to be some die off so IMO you get to start fresh with your tank in the motor city. Good news is those mistakes that most of us make here and there with our tanks at the outset can be avoided now that you have some experience.

Maybe a good time to upgrade to a larger tank if you can convince all the other party's that may be involved :)

From LA ...TOOOOO... Detroit??

Are you sure you don't have those backwards :?: :lol:

Personally, I would start over. Shipping the rock might be worth it, though. As for shipping the tank, seems like the hassle and $$ would make it not worthwhile. Since your livestock are few, I would trade them for some salt mix, or something, and restock later. Good Luck! Pack warm!!

Back
Top Bottom