Tank rock arrangement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KurtsReef

Aquarium Advice Regular
I will be rearranging my tank this week, after getting some additional live rock and thought it would be nice to get some ideas before completing the re-work.

So, if you dont mind post a frontal shot of your reef here...

Thanks in advance for the inspiration.

I was thinking the same of your name.

So, I actually had typed this last night but it does not seem to have posted...

When looking through the reef pictures one of the first things that popped out at me was how 90% or more of the reefs seem to back up directly to the rear glass on the aquarium. I read many books prior to starting my reef years ago and have since passed those books on to others so cannot remember the exact justification but my reef was set up off the back wall a couple of inches with a power jet aimed behind the rockwork. Now I never clean the rear glass and cannot remember the reason for originally setting it up this way however unless someone here can give me a reason not to put the rockwork up against the rear wall that is the first thing I will change.

Most folks will put it up gainst the back glass for both stability and more viewing room, and also to kind of "force" the fish out in the open.

It also really depends on the size of the tank (dimensionally). If you are going to put 50lbs of LR in a 29g, then you pretty much have to put it against the back wall or you won't have any floor space left.

If, however, you are putting 200lbs in a 4' long 120g, then you are going to have more options to work with it and not put it solely against the back.

Also, don't forget about how you are going to view the tank. If you can only see one side, then the rock may look best at the back. If it's viewable on more than one side, say 3 or 4, then you might want to build a mountain in the middle.

In the end, it's mostly preference for how it looks. HTH

I agree that it`s really preference on your part. I have over 200 lbs in my 125. Just make sure you have plenty of caves and tunnels for the fish. Mine is on the back glass as Scott said to force the fish in the open. Click on View my tanks to see mine as well as the gallery. Make sure you post some pics after you are done so we can pick up some ideas.

Thanks for the replies...need to add to my profile with information like this... My reef tank is 75Gal with a 30 gallon home made sump unit. It was originally a 45gal tall and was upgraded about 2.5 years ago to the 75. There are three powerheads in the main tank along with the sump providing water movement, lighting is (4) 96w PC and (3) moonlights...the moonlights have never shined into the tank due to placement on the fixture but have just ordered some seperate moon lights to remedy that.

The tank can be viewed only from the front and the left side as looking at the tank, the back is blocked by a wall and the right by a breakfast bar that seperates the kitchen and dining room.

My extra rock will arrive today, so should have some photos in the next day or two.

melosu58, nice photos of your 125 gallon. The "Micro Stars", have you ever had an issue with them munching on your corals? I had some in my tank years ago and was warned they were pests that would multiply fast (Which they did) and that they ate coral...so I removed them all over a period of months.

There are some that are known to eat corals, but I have read that they are relatively rare in the aquiarium trade.

I`ve had them for several yrs. Never had any problems though. There is supposed to be one type of the asternia star that will mess with your corals but as Scott said they are rare in the aquarium. I have not lost a coral in yrs now so I know they are not bothering them. The last coral I lost was due to the dreaded angelfish. They are gone now. :? BTW thanks for the comment on the tank.

Back
Top Bottom