Tank safe hermit crab?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jcramey84

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all!

Found this guy and decided it might be one of the neatest crabs I ever did see, so I brought it home. I have it in my refugium, but I feel as if there isn't enough room. I was wondering what kind of hermit it was and if he was reef safe.

In the main tank there's small fish from damsels to larger ones like a koran angel. Also have snails and shrimp. Hermit in question is about the size of a golf ball.

Thanks!

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20121003_002325.jpg
    ForumRunner_20121003_002325.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 144
  • ForumRunner_20121003_002334.jpg
    ForumRunner_20121003_002334.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 156
If that's what I think it is he'll get huge and won't be reef or fish safe! I think they get about apple sized or bigger.

The size of an apple?! I never new hermits could get that big.

So safe to say it'll need to stay in the refugium then?

(Can you tell I'm kinda new to this? :) )

I've seen a couple of those at one of my LFS, and they do get quite big. I would say even bigger than an apple. Not sure of the name or if reef safe, though. I've seen some huge hermits, so I wouldn't just go putting any hermit you find in your tank. Can't remember his name, but there's a poster on here that has a hermit the size of a football in his tank. :)

I was just reading that post not too long ago... I think it's in an 1100 gallon shark tank. FREAKING HUGE hermit!!!!

If you're going to keep him in your 'fuge, don't forget to get him a couple of shells to move up to.

As far as a reef safe hermit that plays well with others, the scarlet is my favorite.... gets up to about 1" to 1 1/2".

Phranque said:
I was just reading that post not too long ago... I think it's in an 1100 gallon shark tank. FREAKING HUGE hermit!!!!

If you're going to keep him in your 'fuge, don't forget to get him a couple of shells to move up to.

As far as a reef safe hermit that plays well with others, the scarlet is my favorite.... gets up to about 1" to 1 1/2".

Yeah, I would personally be totally creeped to have that huge hermit in my tank. :)

Don't put it in your tank I put two and had to throw then out, worst thing ever. Killed like 4 small hermits killed 3 really big red legs and killed two turbo snails.

Mine was huge and every day either a coral knocked down or a snail or hermit crab dead

Back
Top Bottom