Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-20-2006, 04:44 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Tank Sitter Needed

Just thought I would get some thoughts on this.

In early April I will be getting activated to Iraq. I have no wife, kids or roommate. Just my fish.
I would drain the tank and give the fish back to LFS, but I do not want to re-cycle the tank. It just got settled down. Mom and Dad do not know squat about fish and they are not the type of people who will research to find out what they need to know. I have a good friend in North Carolina that would probably do it, I am planning to visit NC, but I am not sure if I want to lug the tank all that way or not.
I might consider farming the tank out to a well recommended stranger, but in the real world I think this would be risky.

Anybody have any thought about this?

Should I just strip it down so nobody will have to worry about it?

I know it wouldnt be too big of a deal to move it to NC when I go, but is it worth it?

TIA

Wade

In a perfect world, we would have gills,,,,,and opposable toes.-- Me
stainless_wm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 09:39 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

depending on how long you will be in Iraq, i would just say strip it down... rather then having your parents "who know nothing about the tank" try to care for it, or having to move it from Kansas to North Carolina "which would be a pain" it would be just as easy to break it down and start over once you are back.

just my thought.

75g w/ 30g sump, 160# LR, 60# sand: Inverts =18 turbos, 30 nassirus's, 40 blue leg's, 5 emeralds, 1 CBS, 1 skunk cleaner, 1 brown gulf shrimp? and various other LR hitch hikers yet un discovered or un-ID'ed
Fish=1 yellow tang, 1 yellow headed jawfish, 1 pink/blue shrimpgoby, 2 perc clowns.
Future fish = 1 sixline, 1 lawnmower blenny
mykpoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 01:35 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

My advice? Don't go to Iraq becuase you could get killed and stay home with your fish.

Seriously, take care of yourself.

Spin
120 g FOWLR, Pro Clear 200 19 gal. sump (bio balls removed), 50# Walt Smith FiJi LR, 150# reefersrock base, 300# DSB, Iwaki MD 20 return, (2) Rio 600s, (2) Hagen 802s, Amiracle Quad II skimmer, (2) Coralife 4 X 65s, 2 Lebo moonlights, (2) 120 mm vent. fans,

(2) Perc. Clowns, (1) Yellow Tang, (1) cleaner shrimp, (2) Henis, pending: Foxace Lo, Flame Angel, blue legs, scarlets, 4 emerald crabs, nassarius snails, 50 mexican turbos, (1) good bankruptcy attorney when this hobby blows out of control!
spinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 02:20 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to mrcrazypants05
Hmm... Interesting predicament. Well whatever you do, good luck. I'm just now setting up my first saltwater tank. Maybe you could talk to some LFS or something and ask them if they could have it setup lol Doubt that would work, oh well.. good luck.
65RR - SW - 30g Sump w/fuge - 40lbs MI LR 30lbs Base - 4-5"Sand Bed - 2 false black perculas, 1 six line wrasse, 1 peppermint shrimp, 6 zebra hermits, 6 blue leg hermits, 6 nassarius snails, 6 astrea snails
mrcrazypants05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 02:35 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

LOL well I would stay home,,,, but even if I did that I dont think there are too many fish in the military prison system. . . So I guess I will just go.

It looks like it is going to be a 18 month deployment.

I figure if I can get the tank pretty stable they might not have to do too much,,,,, thoughts?

In a perfect world, we would have gills,,,,,and opposable toes.-- Me
stainless_wm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 02:58 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Not sure about where you are, but here there are a lot of aquarium service businesses that do regular maintenance. If you can locate one, maybe your parents can let them in your place when they do the service, and then lock up behind them.
Old 01-20-2006, 02:59 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Oh, as far as regular feedings, I am sure you could give your parents a quick lesson in what to feed the tank. I had my father do it a while back, everything was fine. Just stress to them that less is better than nore, so the tank wont get polluted with excess food.
Old 01-20-2006, 03:33 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I don't have any advice on your tank situation but I want to say thank you for fighting for freedom. Good luck.
Old 01-20-2006, 03:49 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

are you in an appartment, appt complex or your own home?

if your in an appt complex, you could probably work something out with a neighbor to feed your fish and perhaps let a LFS maintenance guy into your appt once a week while your out... probably going to be kind costly but...

best of luck
Old 01-20-2006, 04:10 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think you're best off, unless you have rare and usual fish, to break it down and start back up when you get back. Unfortunately 18m quickly turns into 2 years, etc. Not to mention that LOTS can go wrong. Having responsibility for the tank long term like that would be difficult. It needs feeding, water changes, watching over the lights and the pumps, etc. Enough can go wrong with it while you're at work during the day (power outages, etc) or while you're on vacation (temperature spikes, death of a fish, etc), but to be gone for any longer than a month with really nobody to watch it is just asking for trouble. I'd break it down, personally.

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com