tank size for tangs??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jason

Aquarium Advice FINatic
what is the minimum tank size for a Powder Blue Tang?

If the minimum is more than 72 gallons, what tangs besides a Yellow would do well in a 72 gallon bowfront?

Yes the pbt gets to large. You could get a Kole Yellow Eye Tang, or a convict if you can find one.

A 75 gal or bigger size tank would be more suitable for tang(s). I had 3 tangs in my 75 gal at one time, and they got too crowed. Now i only have a pbt, and he seems to be more happy.

purple tang do ok in a 75 gallon because a friend of my got that kind of set up and his purple tang looks really good.

I think I may go with a chevron.

they need according to liveaquaria.com they need a 70 gallon aquarium, the same as a white cheek.

Why are they $99 over there? are chevrons hard to find or something? I've seen them at my LFS for 49.99..........

The Chevron Tangs I have seen have all been expensive. They are somewhat unique and have a nice color which means more $$. :)

I saw some powder browns at the LFS here and I liked those. I have a Yellow in my 75 gal. I would love to have 2 but I don't think it would be a good idea for my tank size.

I saw a WC at the LFS last night and it took every ounce of strength I had not to come home with him! He was beautiful!

i have a question on this topic. we are going to upgrade our tank late this summer from a 29g to a 65 wide, 75, or 90. we are not sure yet. would it be okay to get a very small yellow tang or kole and keep him in our 29 for a couple of months. something the size of a small clown fish. i am responsible reef keeper so i dont want to do something inappropiate for the fish, but it seems like it would be okay for a while

thoughts?
steve r

If you get a tang you should put it in QT first (4w). Mine has been battling ich for the last 2 months in a 30. I'm changing water like a mad woman. He's a tiny purple tang and all alone. Not much of a bio filter established though. I'm sure that isn't helping much! He seems ok in there otherwise. I have plenty of rock for him to swim through.

i will QT for sure!!!! i lost my really cool green clown goby to ich. he brought it to my main tank. i had to QT him and my clown for 8 weeks. i learned my lesson. i have lots of rock, caves and places for a fish to swim, i need to update my profile, but i would say about 70lbs live rock now. so you opinion is that the tang would be okay for a couple of months?

steve r

Jasson, you caould go with the powder brown tang. According to "Marine Fishes" by Scott Michael, they require a 75gal as a minimum. I have one in my 72 and it is doing great. Very nice fish.

My Oh-so-humble opinion, based soley on how mine is doing in QT and considering yours will spend at least a month (maybe 2 if you have to treat) in QT anyway... I say he'd be fine. Just keep up on your water.

I saw a LARGE PT at my LFS yesterday. That thing was the size of a dinner plate! I was amazed! I will feel awful if mine get that HUGE. 120 is never going to be enough space for all of that fish. I'll definitely need the 400 by then!

Get the biggest tank you can when you upgrade...

thats why when i buy fish i do it from my lfs and make sure he is all treated for diseases, he marks the date of when the fish are recieved and i wait at least 3 weeks if possible and check up on them daily if i can.

but i have a question also about tangs. does anyone see me having a problem keeping a hippo (blue) tang and a purple tang in my 75g? i was either gonna go with the purple or the kole yellow eyed. any suggestions?

hey jason where are you located at, i always wanted to get a chervon tang but they are out of my budget but if they are 50 bucks i think that is a wonderful price

I'm in GA.

My LFS has awesome prices on fish a lot of times. The guy who runs it doesn't really try to make a lot of money off of fish. He said it's pointless because if you charge a bunch for a fish no one will buy it anyways, and you make most of your money doing tank maintenences anyways.

Back
Top Bottom