Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-09-2005, 01:47 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to sdveirs Send a message via MSN to sdveirs Send a message via Yahoo to sdveirs
Tank Stands - why are they so ugly?

Why does it seem that MOST of the tank stands I see are so cheesy looking. They all look like cheap pine or styled from the 70's and 80's?

Is this normal or is just that people that post pictures on the internet in general buy cheap stands? I know a nice looking one is not cheap so maybe thats why.

http://www.veirs.org/photos/tanks.jpg

10 Gallon w/ 1 male betta and alge eater (not sure what kind), looking for something to add with the betta.

Scott's Blog
http://www.veirs.org
sdveirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 02:15 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Hmmm....stands are at the higher end of the hobby. Many cost more than the tank. Most folks have a pressed particle board - wood veneer stand. We are at the mercy of the manufacturers in this regard.

The complete wood stands are extraordinarily expensive. If you feel that the aforementioned stand are "cheesy" from the 70' and 80"s, have you considered that folks may like this style?

Old 01-09-2005, 02:25 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
There are all kinds of stands out there. I can't recall many 'cheesy' ones I've seen. Look around, you'll find the one that strikes your fancy.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 02:27 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to sdveirs Send a message via MSN to sdveirs Send a message via Yahoo to sdveirs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jchillin
If you feel that the aforementioned stand are "cheesy" from the 70' and 80"s, have you considered that folks may like this style?
I have considered it yes.

The fact that the nice ones are expensive sounds like a more logical explination though.

10 Gallon w/ 1 male betta and alge eater (not sure what kind), looking for something to add with the betta.

Scott's Blog
Old 01-09-2005, 02:48 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

A nice stands requires a lot of finishing work which can get very pricey in a hurry. Detailing a stand with nice trim piece will usually take more time than just banging together the big pieces holding up the tank. Besides, who wants a nice stand when you have that beautiful tank sitting on it hogging all of the attention

*15H marine*
-30# Live Rock
-Mixed Snails (Nassarius // Cerith // Astrea // Black Turbo // Mexican Turbo)
-8x Blue Leg Hermit Crabs // 1x Banded Serpent Star // 1x Cleaner Shrimp
-1x Royal Gramma // 1x Percula Clownfish
-2x Mushroom Leather // Metallic Green Star Polyps // Pulsing Xenia // Striped Xenia // Blue Mushroom
-Remora + Maxi-Jet 1200 // 2x Maxi-Jet 600 // Maxi-Jet 400 // Visi-Therm Deluxe 50 // Current USA Orbit 2x 40w PC
grimlock3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 02:50 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I agree with you on the stands... they're all pretty tacky.... agreed that you will pay a pretty penny for a good looking one...
Old 01-09-2005, 02:51 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Besides, what stops people from building their own stands

*15H marine*
-30# Live Rock
-Mixed Snails (Nassarius // Cerith // Astrea // Black Turbo // Mexican Turbo)
-8x Blue Leg Hermit Crabs // 1x Banded Serpent Star // 1x Cleaner Shrimp
-1x Royal Gramma // 1x Percula Clownfish
-2x Mushroom Leather // Metallic Green Star Polyps // Pulsing Xenia // Striped Xenia // Blue Mushroom
-Remora + Maxi-Jet 1200 // 2x Maxi-Jet 600 // Maxi-Jet 400 // Visi-Therm Deluxe 50 // Current USA Orbit 2x 40w PC
grimlock3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 02:58 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimlock3000
Besides, what stops people from building their own stands
True, I was just thinking about getting a cabinet refacing kit from home depot with some nice doors and so forth and mounting it to a 2x4 built stand. If my tank is the standard width thats all that matters. 24" 30" 36 inch wide... any of those are standard "build it yourself" cabinet sizes.

Thanks for the idea.

Scott

Scott's Blog
Old 01-09-2005, 04:11 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

DIY and you can only blame yourself for the poor disign and cheap materials.

I was building mine myself because I couldent use a standard hight and I am verry happy about that. (now that i'm donne )
swissfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 08:36 PM   #10
JG
Aquarium Advice FINatic

My husband has built two, one for me and one for my daughter. As far as I am concerned - the only way to go. Custom built and at a fraction of the cost.

Tags
tan, tank stand

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com