Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 07-18-2006, 02:57 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Tank + tank = sump?

So I had this goofy idea of combining a cheap 20G tank with a 10G or 5G tank to form a fuge. That is, put a 20G under my main tank and simply drop in a 10 or 5g to hold sand/lr, etc and use the space to either side for skimmer, inlet and return pump. What do you all think?

To fail to plan is to plan to fail.
MarineFlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 04:41 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
It's an idea, as long as the 10 or 5 is shorter so the water could overflow. Seems to be a bit complicated, but could work. I use a 19G Rubber Maid container for mine with a bulkhead. Basically, a low flow pump pumps into the fuge and gravity returns to the sump via the bulkhead and some tubing. Works well. I'll probably do the same when I start my frag tank, but probably with a higher flow pump.
Bearfan is offline   Reply With Quote

sump, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search