Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-20-2013, 11:55 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

my volt meter will not pick up voltages that are that low, nore are they anythign to worry about for myself or my live stock so why would it warrent any sort of ground probe, unless there is a current flow all will be well and all resistances in the water or myself will dicipate the miniscule voltage that you are talkign about.

so like i said before, your theory is an over exageration on a much larger scale but we are not dealign with things that are that high simple low voltage AC power not high voltage where small percentages still mean large outcomes

Old 05-21-2013, 12:07 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

I know you are using an electrician meter but use a digital meter. My ground probe is to prevent me to feel that shock when touching the water. I agree with you that it is a stand still voltage and does not conduct current if the water is not connected to ground and GFCI is more preferred. I am talking about experience and not exaggeration.

Old 05-21-2013, 12:24 AM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffaquarius View Post
I know you are using an electrician meter but use a digital meter. My ground probe is to prevent me to feel that shock when touching the water. I agree with you that it is a stand still voltage and does not conduct current if the water is not connected to ground and GFCI is more preferred. I am talking about experience and not exaggeration.
thats what i have, i have 4 differnt meters. one is just a simple proximity sensor then i have two digital multimeters, one low range that measures AC and DC voltage and the other is a clamp on amp probe with conductivity resistance ac/dc voltage and haven't been able to pick up any sort of stray voltage
Old 05-21-2013, 12:39 AM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well i hope someone reading this thread with a good Fluke digital meter would do just what I suggested and post what their reading is.
Old 05-21-2013, 02:36 AM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

Blink. Huh, what.
You guys were getting so technical I skipped a lot, and I'm an E Engineering technologist. I gots me a digital fluke. Whatcha want measured?
Old 05-21-2013, 04:15 AM   #26
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffaquarius View Post
Well i hope someone reading this thread with a good Fluke digital meter would do just what I suggested and post what their reading is.
Mr. Jeffaquarius have you offered actual advice to this thread or are you doing to this fella the same as you did to me? I mean high temps are life or death for the corals.

My temporary suggestion is lift the lid and turn down the A/C. I've had communication issues with wireless devices in the past. Check your warranty. And I'll apologize for jeffaquarius because he believes he knows all and can speak to people as if they are lower than.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:59 AM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingy View Post
Blink. Huh, what.
You guys were getting so technical I skipped a lot, and I'm an E Engineering technologist. I gots me a digital fluke. Whatcha want measured?
Well, Leo is challenging the idea where this stray voltage in a tank is coming from. Electrical insulation has resistance and it can be measured with a megger. However, by using a digital voltmeter I was trying to demonstrate that there is ac voltage in the electrical insulation with respect to ground at least 0.1 volt. That reading is only a very small fraction of the insulation. Now once you submerge this electrical wire in the tank, the resistance of the insulation as a whole will drop down thereby increasing your voltage leaking into the water.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:19 AM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
Mr. Jeffaquarius have you offered actual advice to this thread or are you doing to this fella the same as you did to me? I mean high temps are life or death for the corals.

My temporary suggestion is lift the lid and turn down the A/C. I've had communication issues with wireless devices in the past. Check your warranty. And I'll apologize for jeffaquarius because he believes he knows all and can speak to people as if they are lower than.
Would it not be nice to read at least the very first opening of this thread before making assumptions? Yes I did offer several suggestions and like everyone else we want to help anyone who's got problem similar to what we had. The stray voltage argument came up when I suggested that an excessive stray voltage with a ground probe may cause heating up the tank.
Old 05-21-2013, 01:36 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict

All science aside...

I agree that one of the pumps or the heater could be causing some heat. The idea of unplugging one at a time and watching the temp could show something. Could you also just unplug the heater? I don't even have one in my tank. I've never done it, but have heard that air blowing across the water helps keep it cooler. One of those little fans from Walmart could help. Its a cheap potential fix. Lastly...consider a chiller. I'm out in the desert and decided to purchase a used one last year, rather than to have my AC cooling the entire house all day. I imagine that savings in electricity has probably paid for the chiller by now. Does seem odd that its getting up almost ten degrees above room temp though.
Old 05-21-2013, 01:45 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTodd View Post
All science aside...

I agree that one of the pumps or the heater could be causing some heat. The idea of unplugging one at a time and watching the temp could show something. Could you also just unplug the heater? I don't even have one in my tank. I've never done it, but have heard that air blowing across the water helps keep it cooler. One of those little fans from Walmart could help. Its a cheap potential fix. Lastly...consider a chiller. I'm out in the desert and decided to purchase a used one last year, rather than to have my AC cooling the entire house all day. I imagine that savings in electricity has probably paid for the chiller by now. Does seem odd that its getting up almost ten degrees above room temp though.
Lol my chiller malfunctioned and booked my fish

ktomminello is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com