Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-21-2013, 01:59 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffaquarius View Post
Would it not be nice to read at least the very first opening of this thread before making assumptions? Yes I did offer several suggestions and like everyone else we want to help anyone who's got problem similar to what we had. The stray voltage argument came up when I suggested that an excessive stray voltage with a ground probe may cause heating up the tank.
I read it all and the big words and outlandish theories. A "stray" voltage would turn the water into an electrical soup before it would just warm the water. Instead of syfy let's keep our feet on this planet and think logically. Wireless devices have yet to be completely fail proof. Also the more electrical things in the area can disrupt the signal. These are just a few things. I'm not an electrician. I just know that electricity gone "stray" inside a tank is dangerous and wouldn't just warm it up. That goes way back to elementary school.
But I've observed your input in other threads. Just makes me feel better about the others in this forum when I see that you didn't waste your time being so harsh with just me.

Old 05-21-2013, 02:18 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Regular

I agree that a pump can warm the tank due to the functioning of it. Not because of something straying electrically. I live In Florida and I don't use heater either as someone mentioned before.

Old 05-21-2013, 02:29 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
I agree that a pump can warm the tank due to the functioning of it. Not because of something straying electrically. I live In Florida and I don't use heater either as someone mentioned before.
At least you now agree to one of my suggestions lol
Old 05-21-2013, 02:39 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Addict

Bouy am I glad that some of you agree to some of my suggestions. It could also be just a bad Pin Point thermometer. However, I still wanted to prove my point regarding where this stray voltage is coming from and I know this has been a hot debated issue for a long time.

First image shows I have 117.9 vac from my wall receptacle.

Second image with test probe up in the air reads some radiation from somewhere with a reading of 0.110 vac. My meter would indicate 0.010 vac if I touch both leads.

Third image with test probe touching a tiny spot in my electrical cord with the equipment turned off reads 0.364 vac.

This tells me i have 0.254 vac (0.364-0.110) coming out from my electrical insulation. When you submerge this cord in water, the whole surface of insulation all around the hot side will reduce the total resistance and thus the stray voltage adds up and increases as more cords are under water.
Old 05-21-2013, 03:00 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm having hard time posting the images. However, I might be wrong that an excessive stray voltage can heat up the tank. All I know is that anything that conducts current can heat up.

Old 05-21-2013, 04:05 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice Addict

Images finally uploaded
Attached Images

Old 05-21-2013, 08:46 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by h20addict View Post
Re set everything, the celing fan in that room had been out so i replaced it as wel last I keep the a.c. About 75, all pumps and power heads were fine. I also put in an old school float thermoater.
Olds school is around 82 as well as the heater. The pinpoint still claims about 84.4 ....
Why not replace the battery of your Pinpoint thermometer and see the difference?

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com