Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-18-2013, 07:04 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

tank temp has.been steady rising..

In the past week and a half my tank temp has climed to 84+ at times as before it was in the 80_81 consistently.
I have re set and recalbrated my wirless thermometer twice. Removed hoods and added fans in the room. A.c never excededs 75 as im an hr from the gulf coast in texas.

Old 05-18-2013, 07:57 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

It's possible one of your pumps (power heads) is producing an abnormal heat. Try switching off one at a time and wait at least 4 hours and see if it drops even in fraction of degree. May need a new one. Is your heater in sump or DT?

Old 05-19-2013, 02:44 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Both power heads are less then 5 months old, but il check.
Heater is in the sump,set at 77. the dig temp display for the heater reads 82_83
Old 05-19-2013, 03:27 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Do you have another thermometer in your DT to validate the digital reading? Can it be a bad heater controller?
Old 05-19-2013, 03:07 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Does the temp cool down or is it consistently 84+?
Old 05-19-2013, 03:58 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

check the shaft on your pumps or powerheads, they may be cracked and causing excess heat or your thermometer is out to lunch, i've had both happen

also whats the ambient temperature in the room that your tank is in, this also happened to me and has a large effect if your heater doesn't have a built in stat, they are set to maintain a set temperature not to regulate it. the onyl thing to do in this case is get a new heater or since the temps outside are rising turn your AC on to maintain a steady room temperature
Old 05-19-2013, 09:57 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Re set everything, the celing fan in that room had been out so i replaced it as wel last I keep the a.c. About 75, all pumps and power heads were fine. I also put in an old school float thermoater.
Olds school is around 82 as well as the heater. The pinpoint still claims about 84.4 ....
Old 05-19-2013, 11:40 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would say it's just a matter of elimination which component on your tank is producing abnormal heat. If you have a Ground Probe in your tank, remove it and measure how much stray voltage from water in tank to ground. If you are using more than one house receptacle to power your equipment and happens to be on different circuits the stray voltage will heat up your tank.
Old 05-20-2013, 12:05 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

I understand your heater sensor is in DT and the heater element is in sump? I have a TrueTemp controller and the specs says + or - 1 deg accuracy. When I set it to 78 it will turn on at 77 and off at 79 which is actually 2 deg differential. I end up using the Eheim heater which has less than 1 deg differential.
Old 05-20-2013, 02:08 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffaquarius View Post
I would say it's just a matter of elimination which component on your tank is producing abnormal heat. If you have a Ground Probe in your tank, remove it and measure how much stray voltage from water in tank to ground. If you are using more than one house receptacle to power your equipment and happens to be on different circuits the stray voltage will heat up your tank.
lol

i'm sorry but this info is wrong. unless these outlets are on different ends of the house you don't have to worry about, even in those rare occations you still dont

also stray voltage in the water as far as i'm concerned is a load of ****, when you understand how electrical circuits work you will realize that one grounded is when you will cause problems if left alone your livestock will be at the same potential and will be harm free. a grounding prob will turn your tank into one giant piece of wire that will be the center of a dead short and kill everything that is in it as a ground will carry the voltage back to the neutral in your panel and return to the source of where it came from, this being the transformer that is located outside your house on a pole or infront of someones house.

if any voltage actually makes it to your water you have a bigger issue and you will notice it as soon as you toucked the water as you'd get a blast an a half. if people think that the powerheads will cause voltage being an inductive load then you are wrong also, it will cause magnetic lines of flux that will need a coil to generate any sort of voltage.

so again a grounding probe is a waste of money and anyone who tells anyone other wise is throwing a sales pitch to make a few extra bucks

if you're worries about electricity killing you or your lives stock, then get a GFCI and arch fault breaker and call it a day, this will help prevent any for of arching in the circuit and any sort of leakage of current to ground

PS: i'm an electrician and i do this every day of my life

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com