Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-28-2004, 04:15 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to flipz
Is it possible for you to raise your lights up off your tank at all? Without effecting the amount of light reaching your corals that is. Having more clearance should help prevent the lights from heating up the water as much.

Old 05-29-2004, 12:33 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

Right now the lights are 12" off the top, I just made the canopy and from what I have been reading that should've been enough room. If I went up a few more inches would it make that much of a difference?

Thanks,
Rich

Old 05-29-2004, 12:45 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to flipz
I doubt any higher would make that much of a difference. I didn't realize they were already 12" off the top. Only thing I can think of (that is recommended a lot in the FW forum, I'm assuming it's safe for SW too) is just getting some cheap clip on fans and pointing them straight on the water surface. It will cause water to evaporate which will cool it.

Just keep an eye on your water because since it's evaporating faster you will have to top off more often.

HTH

-brent

edit: well i just went back and re-read and basically everyone recommended that. haha. except to do it on your sump/refuge instead of the main tank. has doing that helped you at all? or did you not do it yet?

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com