Tank temp, what's your tank running at?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Convict2161

Aquarium Advice Addict
After reading MANY articles and surfing the Internet for days and days and doing more research, reading more and more....

I don't find a solid answer. Saltwater aquarium, what is the recommended temp?

After much research I'm finding there is NO definitive answer?

Some say depends on corals, where they come from and also where the fish come from. Also I read many other factors come into play as far as what temp to keep your saltwater tank at although every article I've read did mention stability is more important, of course you don't want your tank too high.

The reason I'm asking is mainly because I'm just curious, does it boil down the fish and corals?

My tank BC 29 runs at about 80-81 during the day and at night it will cool down a bit maybe to 78-79. That's not exactly stable now is it? Some articles say that many people actually do this to try and mimic nature and the sun up heating the water and the sundown cooling effect on the ocean.

Just curious is there any other articles or evidence to back up what the ideal tank temp should be.

I've read in other forums and in articles that some people keep there tanks 82+. Some below 78, seems there is a array of answers and opinions.

Thanks

temperatures in the ocean vary greatly, as does salinity and current...ect, so I wouldn't be too worried about sticking exactly to 79.456 degrees. Just watch out for signs of stress, keep the tank oxygenated, and in extreme cases, say your ac goes out and your tank gets up to 90+, turn your lights out and run them at night

Mines at 80 and everything seems happy. The internet is a wacky place, on one site you'll get one answer and on another site something different. Most sites give range for temp, salinity, calcium, Ph... If you are in the range you should be ok so i personnally try to split the difference most pf the time and so far my tank os happy. If your lights hear your tank to 81 why not just set you heat to 80 so it only drops a degree at night? Thats what i would do but remember im just a guy on the internet;)

I keep my tank at 80. I use the info here and from LiveAquaria on what is needed for a specimen and if it is compatible for what is going on in your tank.

uh.oh... said:
temperatures in the ocean vary greatly, as does salinity and current...ect, so I wouldn't be too worried about sticking exactly to 79.456 degrees. Just watch out for signs of stress, keep the tank oxygenated, and in extreme cases, say your ac goes out and your tank gets up to 90+, turn your lights out and run them at night

Animal-Chin said:
Mines at 80 and everything seems happy. The internet is a wacky place, on one site you'll get one answer and on another site something different. Most sites give range for temp, salinity, calcium, Ph... If you are in the range you should be ok so i personnally try to split the difference most pf the time and so far my tank os happy. If your lights hear your tank to 81 why not just set you heat to 80 so it only drops a degree at night? Thats what i would do but remember im just a guy on the internet;)

Sniperhank said:
I keep my tank at 80. I use the info here and from LiveAquaria on what is needed for a specimen and if it is compatible for what is going on in your tank.

Thanks everyone. Sounds like I'm doing just fine. I'll see when the wife cranks the AC in the summer. She's always cold and I'm use to the heat so it doesn't bother me. A ceiling fan does the job for me.

It varies depending on the region of the ocean and currents. I have always been told that 76 is too cold and above 83-85 trouble can begin. I think consistency is more important...no big fast temp swings and you should be fine.

I have almost identical temps and swings as you (OP) and haven't ran into a problem at all 80-80.5 during day and drops to 77.5-77 at night..anything more then a 3 degree swing though is start looking into correcting it but prefferably imo a 0-1 degree swing would be best

Mine is locked at 78F. The chiller allows it to move less than .2F. This is even with all LEDs. The pumps can add a surprising amount of heat.

Ziggy953 said:
I keep mine at 79. It's easy to do with a controller.

Controller? Make me aware...

I don't even need my heater on and I'm 80-81 easily! I'm starting to worry about the summer time. I don't run the AC when I'm not home due to the Con-Ed bill will be through the roof!!

I wonder what summer will bring for my saltwater tank......

About all a controller can do is turn off the lights and kick on a fan? A small chiller will do the job even if the room heats up. If you use enough lights to grow coral, you are probably producing some heat. I think going much over 85F is dangerous to coral and higher could really harm them. JIMO, but my son has had to dump ice cubes in his nano to prevent disaster a few times last summer.

Back
Top Bottom