Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-18-2005, 06:26 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Tank Temperature Upper Limit

I have a 450g marine tank in my basement (thank God) and right now the Spring temps keep my basement around 70 deg. and the tank temp is about 82 deg with no heaters operating.

However, as we get closer to summer I think my basment temps are going to start hitting around 80 degrees.

Should I assume that my tank temp will approach 90 degrees when my basement temps hit 80 deg? I'm thinking probably yes.

I just researched an found a product made by Mitsubishi called Mr. Slim. It is an AC unit that mounts on your wall and a large comressor can sit outside (just like a central unit but with no ducts). I am planning on spending my money on this unit instead of buying a chiller for the tank. This way the creatures outside the tank (my family) will be comfortable too.

Regards,
Pete R.

1x Dolphin AS2100
1x Dolphin AM4700
72" Aqualight Pro: 4x96 Actinic, 3x150 HQI Halides, 4x1 moonlights
AquaC EV-1000 Protein Skimmer run by Dolphin AS2100
AquaUV 114 watt UV Sterilizer
2x Jager 250w
...Work in progess.....
peterac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 10:45 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
As your tank starts to warm up I would try my best to keep the overall tank temp below 84F. In addition you want to try to keep the overall temp swing to a minimum from lights on and lights off.

What are you using for lighting. You can blow air over the surface of the tank via fans or over the surface of your sump.

How are you expelling the mosture due to evaporation?

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 10:47 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

According to Dr. Shimek, the worlds reefs have a temp range of 80°-86° F with an average of 82°/83° (by size).

Always seemed strange to me that everybody says to keep it at 79°/80°. Why not 83° of that's the average of real reefs?
runway1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 10:50 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfreek
What are you using for lighting. You can blow air over the surface of the tank via fans or over the surface of your sump.

How are you expelling the mosture due to evaporation?
I am using the lighting mentioned in my signature. I am not running the MH that much right now. Some days I do not run them at all.

Not sure what you mean by your last question. I have an acrylic tank with covers over the cutouts with minimal space around the covers (maybe 1/2" max space).

Thanks,
Pete R.

1x Dolphin AS2100
1x Dolphin AM4700
72" Aqualight Pro: 4x96 Actinic, 3x150 HQI Halides, 4x1 moonlights
AquaC EV-1000 Protein Skimmer run by Dolphin AS2100
AquaUV 114 watt UV Sterilizer
2x Jager 250w
...Work in progess.....
peterac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 12:42 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Take the covers off the cutouts. Your evaporation losses will increase but your tank will stay cooler.

Tags
tan, temperature

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com