Tank too hot...will not cool...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You're obviously paying them to keep up your tank for a reason - most likely because you just don't want to deal with it! BUT... if it was me, I'd tell the maintenance people that while you don't discount their amazing ability to detect chemical imbalances with just their eyes, (you might want to reword that!) you'd like them to test the tank for what they're dosing, and show you the results. I'd also make it clear they're going to lose a customer unless they don't test for you. If they're as confident in their skills as they say, then they should have no problem doing this for you. It'll only take a few minutes of their time, and they should have the test kits onhand anyway.

My guess is they won't do it.

Also... just noticed something else in your writeup. You say that they add 4 caps of Tech A/B every week. I'm assuming since it's a fish maintenance outfit, they're adding those 4 caps all at once, each week - into a 65g tank? From my experience, two part additives for Ca/Alk are meant to be dosed daily, in small amounts. That way they don't cause major salinity/pH swings. Not sure how many ml a "capful" is, but I think the normal maximum dosage on all those additives is 1 ml per gallon, per day. If you add more than that, you risk making a pH spike. Could this be part of it?

Still don't think it's the temperatures, but glad to hear you at least got that under control.

FWIW, I second roka64's assessment..Notably the not messing with you tank statement. The very idea that they would attempt to sell you a chiller in lieu of trying a simple fan smacks to high heaven of greed to me. Obviously we don't have all the facts but sometimes when companies smell money...

roka64 said:
gefilte said:
I believe that to be complete BS.
I agree, they should not longer be messing with your tank. Sounds like they possibly poisoned your fish by adding too many chemicals without testing. That shows very poor animal husbandry.
Just curious, you added the fan your self, why are you paying them?

artoledo said:
Do you turn off your A.C. during the day while you are out?

No, it runs constant because there is always someone here.

Thanks for all the advice.

I spoke with the owner of the company today. He agreed that is is better to dose the Tech A/B over the course of the week, but that most people who he services will not commit to that much effort. He also agreed to test for iodine to see if that was a factor. He still contends that that the items being added to the tank are not causing the fish to die but he does not know what the problem is. He said that other than the fish not staying alive for more than 2 weeks the tank looks great, which it does. I have amazing coralline algae and the corals are doing very well. They are coming tomorrow to service the tank and are bringing a royal gramma.

I guess we wait and see.....

I'll ask agin How do they acclimate the fish? If they even acclimate.
Floating the bags for 15-30 min and then tossing them in is not the proper way to do it.
Do they drip acclimate?
Sounds like the Boss is trying to cover his ass.... You need to test tanks bofore dosing unless you have years of dealing with the tank. I only check monthly now because after over 4 years I know what my tank needs. I never dose iodine and I know no one who does. If your doing regular water changes there is no reason to dose it.

seaham358 said:
I'll ask agin How do they acclimate the fish? If they even acclimate.
Floating the bags for 15-30 min and then tossing them in is not the proper way to do it.
Do they drip acclimate?
Sounds like the Boss is trying to cover his *beep*.... You need to test tanks bofore dosing unless you have years of dealing with the tank. I only check monthly now because after over 4 years I know what my tank needs. I never dose iodine and I know no one who does. If your doing regular water changes there is no reason to dose it.
I am not usually home when they are there, but I asked my wife about the acclimation process last night and she said that she recalls the way i used to do it with a drip line and a bucket aver a period of time and she said she does not recall seeing them do that. I'll have her check when they put in the Royal Gramma today. As for iodine, why would they insist on dosing with Lugol's if it is unnecessary? FYI, they do a water change every 2 weeks.

The salt mixes and water will replenish the depleted trace elements. Unless your corals are depleting those before PWCs, you could:
1 Do more frequent PWCS
2 Dose (only if you have the proper tests for what you are dosing).

gefilte said:
As for iodine, why would they insist on dosing with Lugol's if it is unnecessary?

So they can be different than other maintenance outfits and show folks they're doing things others aren't... and charge a premium for it? (Yeah... I'm a bit cynical with some of these outfits!)

Regarding acclimating the fish, I can't imagine they drip acclimate them. That would imply they spend 45 minutes to an hour on your tank. I'm thinking they're there no more than 30 minutes? And I can already hear their reason - "We keep them in water that has the same parameters as your tank. We just need to acclimate them to the temp." Which... is probably not incorrect assuming their water matches yours. Pretty sure it doesn't though.

Back
Top Bottom