Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 05-08-2007, 08:42 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: not here anymore
Posts: 5,338
You're obviously paying them to keep up your tank for a reason - most likely because you just don't want to deal with it! BUT... if it was me, I'd tell the maintenance people that while you don't discount their amazing ability to detect chemical imbalances with just their eyes, (you might want to reword that!) you'd like them to test the tank for what they're dosing, and show you the results. I'd also make it clear they're going to lose a customer unless they don't test for you. If they're as confident in their skills as they say, then they should have no problem doing this for you. It'll only take a few minutes of their time, and they should have the test kits onhand anyway.

My guess is they won't do it.

Also... just noticed something else in your writeup. You say that they add 4 caps of Tech A/B every week. I'm assuming since it's a fish maintenance outfit, they're adding those 4 caps all at once, each week - into a 65g tank? From my experience, two part additives for Ca/Alk are meant to be dosed daily, in small amounts. That way they don't cause major salinity/pH swings. Not sure how many ml a "capful" is, but I think the normal maximum dosage on all those additives is 1 ml per gallon, per day. If you add more than that, you risk making a pH spike. Could this be part of it?

Still don't think it's the temperatures, but glad to hear you at least got that under control.
__________________

__________________
Kurt_Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 06:48 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 343
Send a message via AIM to artoledo Send a message via MSN to artoledo Send a message via Yahoo to artoledo
Do you turn off your A.C. during the day while you are out?
__________________

__________________
If it doesn't work, use a Hammer.

-----Armando-----
artoledo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 04:37 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
MarineFlake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Memphis, Tn
Posts: 816
FWIW, I second roka64's assessment..Notably the not messing with you tank statement. The very idea that they would attempt to sell you a chiller in lieu of trying a simple fan smacks to high heaven of greed to me. Obviously we don't have all the facts but sometimes when companies smell money...

Quote:
Originally Posted by roka64
Quote:
Originally Posted by gefilte
I believe that to be complete BS.
I agree, they should not longer be messing with your tank. Sounds like they possibly poisoned your fish by adding too many chemicals without testing. That shows very poor animal husbandry.
Just curious, you added the fan your self, why are you paying them?
__________________
To fail to plan is to plan to fail.
MarineFlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 05:17 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: port charlotte florida
Posts: 140
i agree sounds like they just want the money i would start to care for the tank on your own if ya can .
__________________
kickeralpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 11:02 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by artoledo
Do you turn off your A.C. during the day while you are out?
No, it runs constant because there is always someone here.

Thanks for all the advice.

I spoke with the owner of the company today. He agreed that is is better to dose the Tech A/B over the course of the week, but that most people who he services will not commit to that much effort. He also agreed to test for iodine to see if that was a factor. He still contends that that the items being added to the tank are not causing the fish to die but he does not know what the problem is. He said that other than the fish not staying alive for more than 2 weeks the tank looks great, which it does. I have amazing coralline algae and the corals are doing very well. They are coming tomorrow to service the tank and are bringing a royal gramma.

I guess we wait and see.....
__________________
gefilte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 12:07 AM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Poughkeepsie, NY
Posts: 3,294
I'll ask agin How do they acclimate the fish? If they even acclimate.
Floating the bags for 15-30 min and then tossing them in is not the proper way to do it.
Do they drip acclimate?
Sounds like the Boss is trying to cover his ***.... You need to test tanks bofore dosing unless you have years of dealing with the tank. I only check monthly now because after over 4 years I know what my tank needs. I never dose iodine and I know no one who does. If your doing regular water changes there is no reason to dose it.
__________________
9/02-125 REEF, 125 lbs LR,LS 4x160 VHO, Reef Devil /Sump, Fuge
7/03-55 FOWLR 60lb LR, 50 lb SD sand 2x40 NO strip light, Reef Devil/sump, Fuge

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 04:13 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by seaham358
I'll ask agin How do they acclimate the fish? If they even acclimate.
Floating the bags for 15-30 min and then tossing them in is not the proper way to do it.
Do they drip acclimate?
Sounds like the Boss is trying to cover his *beep*.... You need to test tanks bofore dosing unless you have years of dealing with the tank. I only check monthly now because after over 4 years I know what my tank needs. I never dose iodine and I know no one who does. If your doing regular water changes there is no reason to dose it.
I am not usually home when they are there, but I asked my wife about the acclimation process last night and she said that she recalls the way i used to do it with a drip line and a bucket aver a period of time and she said she does not recall seeing them do that. I'll have her check when they put in the Royal Gramma today. As for iodine, why would they insist on dosing with Lugol's if it is unnecessary? FYI, they do a water change every 2 weeks.
__________________
gefilte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 04:18 PM   #28
AA Team Emeritus
 
roka64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 13,860
Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
The salt mixes and water will replenish the depleted trace elements. Unless your corals are depleting those before PWCs, you could:
1 Do more frequent PWCS
2 Dose (only if you have the proper tests for what you are dosing).
__________________
Age is relative, you are only as old as you act....of course, this works in reverse....

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 09:38 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: not here anymore
Posts: 5,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by gefilte
As for iodine, why would they insist on dosing with Lugol's if it is unnecessary?
So they can be different than other maintenance outfits and show folks they're doing things others aren't... and charge a premium for it? (Yeah... I'm a bit cynical with some of these outfits!)

Regarding acclimating the fish, I can't imagine they drip acclimate them. That would imply they spend 45 minutes to an hour on your tank. I'm thinking they're there no more than 30 minutes? And I can already hear their reason - "We keep them in water that has the same parameters as your tank. We just need to acclimate them to the temp." Which... is probably not incorrect assuming their water matches yours. Pretty sure it doesn't though.
__________________

__________________
Kurt_Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hot Tank boxxmann Saltwater Reef Aquaria 5 01-16-2007 03:23 PM
How hot is too hot for a tank...? XXFirefighter Saltwater Reef Aquaria 5 10-29-2004 10:06 PM
Keeping a tank cool in hot weather zpacam Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 8 05-04-2004 01:14 PM
tank temp is going hot!!!!!!!!!!!! pufferman Saltwater Reef Aquaria 3 04-28-2004 09:59 AM
Tank too hot? biotoxin Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started 3 09-23-2003 09:46 AM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.