Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-11-2004, 12:45 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

tank top

I was reading a post here earlier and i believe it was aaron(fishfreek) who said that not having glass covers on your tank is better but i was wondering anywhere i could buy a thinge to hold my lights without glass

one catch: i have a 72 gallon bowfront
thanks in advance

Mr. Marine

mrmarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2004, 04:47 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

I've heard the suggestion of eggcrate material similar to what you see under florescent light fixtures in buildings. I don't remember all the particulars and I will probably lead you astray.

Do a search in the forums for "eggcrate".

Old 04-11-2004, 08:37 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hey 24, actually you are correct. I was reading that one last night. I'm fixing to go get me some, more than likely, today.

Vote for AquariumAdvice
dralarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2004, 03:18 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

i looked at some and it was plastic will it melt and be able to hold my lights up??

tia

Mr. Marine
mrmarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2004, 08:46 PM   #5
steve-s

Depends on the type of light you have. As long as it is not MH, the light can easily sit atop the eggcrate. I have a 4x96 W on my 90 which touch's the eggcrate (supported by tank rim) and a 2x65 W that the eggcrate actually supports the light over my 27. No heat issues to be concerned about.

Two added benefits over solid lids (glass and such) is much better O2/CO2 exchange and the eggcrate can carefully be cut/sculpted to exactly fit the dimensions of the tank rim.

Cheers
Steve

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com