Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 10-18-2010, 04:04 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Big Hermit

Sea Apple

Turtle tank (kiddie pool!!)

Lyretail Wrasse & Yellow Tang

Again, there are more pics in this album:

Central Campus Des Moines IA pictures by FloydRTurbo - Photobucket

All in all, it was a very impressive facility. I can't wait to see what it looks like toward the end of the school year, after the students have had their hands on it. They said that they reassured the LFSs that they aren't going to compete with them, but time will tell I suppose - they're got to be thinking that they can sell fish & frags on the open market. I know I would buy from them to support an educational facility teaching students that would very likely enter the field of Marine Biology.

Also, I wanted to mention that they are still in need of equipment. They chose to spend the $ they had (which was from a 1 cent sales tax referendum for the entire district 10 years ago) to purchase all the glass tanks that they needed. They currently are in desperate need of large protein skimmers. If you have one you don't need anymore, or know anyone who has one, PLEASE consider donating it to them. You probably would be able to take a tax deduction too. Right now they have to do water changes - lots of water changes.

Another thing, if you know of a way to DIY skimmers, send me a PM with a design and I might be able to pass it on and maybe their students can make some. That would be an interesting class project, wouldn't it?

And remember, if anyone wants a totally scratched up 300-400 gallon acrylic tank...they've got one.

My tanks: 120 Reef w/L2 Algae Scrubber, 60 Reef Pond w/floating Algae Scrubber, 40 Breeder Reef w/L2 UAS Tester Algae Scrubber
I maintain: 144 SW Reef w/L2 Algae Scrubber | 200 SW Reef w/L4 Algae Scrubber
Special knowledge: Algae Scrubbers, Acrylic Fabrication
Floyd R Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 05:00 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

Very nice; looks like it would be worth the tour.

the Bog

"Listen to some of these guys talk, and it's like they were born from their momma's belly with a fishkeeping encyclopedia in one hand and an API kit in the other" (unrevealed).
Wy Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 05:45 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist
What is this???

That is a Scat or Scatophagus argus
Neat photos That place looks awesome!
My Room is an Aquarium! =D
CoraltheClownfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 09:37 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Phenomenal setup they have going there. I wish I could have gone and taken the tour.

"If your wife ever asks how much something was for your tank, just tell her you got it on sale and you had to have it! She'll understand"

Krypt is offline   Reply With Quote

bio, marine, schools, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com