Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 05-21-2004, 08:50 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
Tank Upgrade??

Hi --

I've got a fairly new 55 gal tank that's been established for better part of a year, with the recent addition of about 120# of LR a couple of months ago (which has settled in quite nicely :-) I love the rock, but admit that I may have gotten a bit too much. Not for the fish's sake, but for mine -- it's tough to get between it and the glass in several places to clean, and there is not much open area on the bottom (ie, that I can reach to clean) between the rocks for substrate critters.

Sooooo.... I'm wondering what it would take to upgrade to something like 120 gal. Obviously, I'd use all of the existing water, substrate, etc -- but how best to make up the difference? Once the new tank is in place, would I simply add new substrate and freshly mixed water? Or would I have to cycle that much water (65 gal) first in a another tank, and THEN add it to the new one?

EBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004, 09:21 AM   #2
Well you would need larger power heads, and mabye a new skimmer, but other than that just use existing, then add as needed. Just use new water. I would leave the fish in the 55, with some LR. That way the new tank can settle just to be safe.
Old 05-21-2004, 01:26 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Adding water wont cause the tank to cycle again. Put the tank in th place youw ant it. Then add the substrate and then start filling it with water that matches your existing tanks SG. Once you have about 1/2 of the tank filled you can transfer the rocks over as well as the fish, corals, etc. Then transfer over the old water from the existing tank. This will lower the shock value on the fish and other inverts. Then fill the tank with new water.
Remember dont tap the glass, your fish will think you're an idiot -Anonymous mother

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004, 01:40 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist
Sounds good -- thanks!
EBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2004, 02:48 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Or you could start doing a weekly or every other week water change and use the water removed from your old tank to fill your new. Would take a little time but the shock to your fish should be almost non-existant. Do a bed of fresh substrate, but some of your old over with every time you add water for your top layer.
indy is offline   Reply With Quote

tan, tank upgrade, upgrade

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com