Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-27-2006, 06:53 PM   #1
JM
Aquarium Advice Freak

Tank Upgrade Question

I've decided, well actually my parents finally gave in to me having a larger tank in my basement. I am upgrading my 75g to a 120g. I am buying the tank stand and canapy from a friend of mine and he has never had water in it. He bought it all and then decided that he didnt want it. Its a reef ready tank with two drains. I am goin to be using either a 30g or 40g breeder as a sump, and i was wondering what you guys thought the best pump would be to use for getting water back into the tank from the sump. i am thinking about using two pumps since i already have one 500gph pump on my 75g. It would be cheaper for me to buy another one of those than to buy one big pump. Does this sound practical? If not what is a good pump for the bigger tank.

PS: as of now it is going to be a FOWLR.

Old 06-27-2006, 07:09 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I am a fan od Mag Drive pumps. A mag drive 12 should do the trick. Depending on plumbing, you may be able to get by with a mag 9.

Old 06-28-2006, 01:26 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

agreed. they're great pumps. I dont have one but i wish i would have spent the extra little bit of money to get one after seeing friends tanks, and after having 2 cheaper ones go out.
Old 06-28-2006, 02:33 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Wish I had your friends!
Old 06-28-2006, 03:24 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

lol ya. its cool to actually be able to see how other people do their setups, that way it gives you a better idea of how and what you want to use to set yours up.
Old 06-28-2006, 09:08 PM   #6
JM
Aquarium Advice Freak

Sounds good, one of my friends was pushing me towards getting an external pump and having the sump drilled, but external pumps are more expensive and i dont feel like dealing with getting the sump drilled and all that nonsence. I have a mag drive on my 75g now and i love it.

Tags
tan, tank upgrade, upgrade

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com