Tank w/ Mandarin Goby?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SWGuppie

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Well, I stocked my tank today......3 Damsels....2 percula clowns....and 1 Mandarin Goby...

First I have a 29 g tank, with awesome water movement and filtration, a DSB, and about 38-40 # of live rock.

are these fish good? Right now they are on a diet of Marine Agae, and Brine shrimp...is that good?

All information is greatly appreciated!

Mandarin Gobies are not recommended for tanks with less than 100 lbs of mature LR that has been in a tank free of micro prdators. They are cool fish, but most will not take to prepared foods and require a diet of micro fauna like copopods and amphipods.

Right now they are on a diet of Marine Agae, and Brine shrimp...is that good?

Brine shrimp has very little nutrition and the algae probably holds little interest for your fish. I would suggest something along the lines of prime reef, mysis shrimp, high quality marine flake with a good supplament high in [acronym="Highly Unsaturated Fatty Acid"]HUFA[/acronym].

So should I return the Mandarin Goby to the LFS? They really didn't seem like it would be any problem...hmm....everyone is always just trying to make a buck...

Yes, I would return it, or find someone with a tank that can maintain it. Finding someone with an appropriate tank is probably the best option for the fish, since your LFS is just out to sell the fish to whom ever has the cash.

Well....since I have to give up the coolest fish of them all , what would be a good replacement for him, they have a beautiful valentini puffer...would he work? :oops:

lol, ok sounds like a plan...I KNEW I should've gotten the 90 gallon tank when I had the chance!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm thinking I might need to make a tank upgrade....already =O!!!!!!

Yes the mandarin is no good unless you have pods, for them. Reefrunner gave great advice, and im glad your listening to us rather than your LFS.

I always come to you guys first! Really, i'm going to have to find a new LFS...this one just isn't doing well AT ALL! Anyone know where I can find one in the Central Florida Area?? I want to find a really good one this time, not some shmoe-hole

Well, pretty much anywhere in Florida........ I'm looking for the best of the best....but probably around Orlando-Ocala-Tampa-Clearwater-Daytona Beach area... However, I personally live in Marion County- Ocala

I'm looking for the best of the best

LOL, I'm not sure that exists in FL. The one I used to work at (in Lakeland) was pretty good, although they have a tendency to look towards the almighty dollar. The one I'm using now (in Gainesville) is pretty good, although, I have seen none that can compare with some of the ones I've read about in other parts of the country. PM me for the names if your interested.

Back
Top Bottom