I agree with previous posts. Your water should be clear. Greenish tints to the water are usually a type of algae known as freefloating or suspended single cell algae and is usually caused by the anerobic activity associated with bacterial blooms. When you have an ammonia or nitrite spike, the good bacteria react to break this down. The end product is Nitrate, which can be a food source for Algae. If you haven't had any die off, then this might be the problem...some local water systems have high amount of phosphates in their water. Sometimes it runs at a constant level. But sometimes when water treatment facilities are cleaning equipment, the cleaning solutions can leave the extra phosphates in the water. These are not toxic to us, therefore they are not required to remove them.
I disagree with using distilled water. Although, I also disagree with using tap water. If you have invested all kinds of money into your system with 160lbs of LR
etc...you might consider buying a RO
system. They pay for themselves in the long run. Or if you don't want to do this, then you should consider finding a LFS
that sells the water. Good luck