Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 01-21-2004, 11:43 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via MSN to Brisc0
I was a house builder for a while, and all I can tell you is that most likely you have a 55 gallon tank @ 10lbs per gallon - 15 to displace 50 lbs of liverock and 50 lbs of sand, add in a misc 30 lbs for lights, misc decorations, equipment, and then another 60 for a stand your looking at nearly 600 lbs. That doesn't stand a chance of caving anything. Its no different than a 36" television on a large entertainment center. As long as you don't pick the fully loaded tank up over your head and throw it down on the floor your fine. HTH, take care and good luck.

Here's to swimmin with bowlegged women.

-105G SPS Reef with 30G Sump/Fuge Combo
-30G LTAnemonarium with mated porcelain crabs, 10 sexy shrimp, and 2 pink skunks all tied into the other 135G in my system.
Brisc0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 01:17 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular
you still have to have a place for all your equipment? I have gone both rounds. If your single, you can get away with using an iron stand. If you have a partner, forget it get the wooden stand.

You can pretty much get a stand for any size tank. I would check out several LFS around you who sell a variety of stands. One thing to really look at is if the stand has any shelving. One thing I have also learned is that you need to think about your lights before getting a hood. You need to see if your comfortable with a hood that lifts up or out. I prefer the ones have doors that open toward you because if you mont lights, you wont have to lift the weight of the lights everytime you open the hood.

cookiemn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 02:30 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak
I believe that any tank over 4 ft long should not use an iron stand. In the past 20 yrs, I've seen two 150g 6ft tanks bow in the center due to the uneven distribution of weight and tank seams split and 150 gallons of water come spewing out.
pecan2phat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 12:21 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via ICQ to JProx Send a message via AIM to JProx
this might not be possible for you bmg but it's worth mentioning.
www.garf.org [under diy pages] has plans to build your own stand, to any size/dimension. i just finished building a replacement stand for my 55gal tank, it took about 4 1/2hrs to build the frame. since you're in an apartment it might be out of the question. but you can save a bit of money by building your own, and the satisfaction of building one, is unmeasurable. It was pretty easy, and the stability of the stand is equal too, if not better than wood stands at an LFS.

if you have any questions about the building process, tools, and the like head over to the DIY pages, there are a few posts on the subject.
JProx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 01:47 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Regular
Wow, lots more useful info from everyone, thanks SO much, this makes my life much easier now. I feel much more informed on the whole subject...and just as a side note, I did find out that my specific renters policy covers the damage that could happen from a tank as long as its not the type that is built into a wall...although Im sure if I went and put a 500 gal tank on a stand and it broke, they would rethink what they told me.
bmg213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 02:03 PM   #16
AA Team Emeritus
Im sure if I went and put a 500 gal tank on a stand
at that point it's no longer referred to as a stand but more a foundation LOL

water weighs 8.3 US pounds per gallon. an average 55 gallon tank will be just about what Brisco said, I would actually go just a little higher and say around 600-700.

415 water (50 gallons in a 55 tank estimate)
+75 LR
+25 Tank
+50 Stand
+100 Sand
+25 Lighting/Misc equip
= 690 pounds

now if you put a sump/fuge under your tank you'll be adding even more. It adds up VERY quickly. The best adive I can offer is to try and determine which way the joists run under your floor and be sure you place your tank so it is perpendicular to the joists, not parallel. Eg:
Joist = ----------
Tank = ###

Acronyms and Abbreviations
BillyZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com