Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-20-2004, 04:21 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Tank Weight limits and Renters Insurance

Just curious if anyone can offer some advice on the biggest tank that would be suitable for an apartment. I am asking in regards to weight and the floor being able to hold it. I am interested in getting a 55 gal marine tank, but I am not certain about the limits of what an average floor can hold. I was considering putting it on an iron stand, Im just not a big fan of the wood stands that I've seen.

Additionally, do most renter's insurance policies cover accidents should the tank or floor give out? I know this is something Ill need to follow up with my insurance company on, but I wanted to get some comments/advice before calling them.

Thanks

Old 01-20-2004, 04:24 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to ferret Send a message via AIM to ferret
The iron stands that have just four feet that touch the ground are actually worse in these considerations. The best are (usually wood) stands that touch the ground all the way around (ie, a box) so that weight is distrubuted equally.

As for weight concerns with a 55g.. I can't speak for your apartment, but everything in my signature is in a 1200sq foot 3rd floor apartment.

Old 01-20-2004, 04:25 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think a wood stand would be better than iron because they seem to spread the weight out over more than four points. One of the main things to consider is the way the joists run. You want to run the tank perpendicular to these to spread the weight out onto as many as possible.
RogerMcAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 04:26 PM   #4
cj10488

well in my apartment complex is pretty old or at least the section that I am in.. I have a 55gal on the floor without any issues.. My mgr stated that I can have any size tank that I wanted.. I am not familiar with renters insurance as I dont carry it.. Seems like a waste to me.. I would say that most apartments should be able to hold at least a 150gal.. I have been trying to talk the wife into letting me get the 150-180g tank for the living room but havent quite gotten to the point except when we move you can have whatever size you want.. LOL

Quote:
I was considering putting it on an iron stand, Im just not a big fan of the wood stands that I've seen
Have a stand custom built.. It will be about the same price as a store bought but made exactly to your specs.. Iron just seesm to stand out and possibly rust in a SW environment

HTH<
James
Old 01-20-2004, 04:57 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Can't help with the insurance and weights, but in regards to the iron stands, one other thing to think about when deciding on stands, is that with an iron one, all of your "clutter" will show. And there's alot of it when it comes to these tanks!! With the wood stands all is hidden. Makes for a nice, neat appearance even though inside the doors is utter CHAOS!! Good Luck in your search!!

Stacy
Old 01-20-2004, 05:22 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Your floor should easily handle a 55g tank, I would have little doubt that certain items of furniture would way as much or almost as much that you don't really think about.

As far as renter's insurance, I wouldn't have lived without it in my apartment. It should cover your fish tank the same as it would a water bed.
HoopsGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 05:47 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Well, first of all thanks to everyone for such quick responses! Makes plenty of sense about the even distribution of weight when using wood vs. iron...and I didnt even think of the rusting issue. The reason I began to worry about all of this is because I was searching online for a 125 gal, and the company selling would not even ship to an apartment unless it was 1st floor or basement. I guess I am just a bit paranoid, but I figure if I have a 37 gal tank now and plan on a 55 gal, that is a lot of water that could potentially cause aa bit of damage to my apartment and those below me.

Also, any suggestions on where I could go for a custom stand?

Thanks again to everyone for your help!
bmg213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 05:53 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmg213
the company selling would not even ship to an apartment unless it was 1st floor or basement.
They just don't want to have to bring the aquarium up 3 flights.

Good luck!
Old 01-20-2004, 07:17 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

will i gonna add my 2 cent !!! as for a 55 gallon i would go with the iron for one reason only !!!!!! ya can add another 55 on the bottom which makes a great fuge !!
i have had an iron stand for years and yea it does rust after years and/or alot of water leaking on them !! other wise before ya set it up repaint it with some better paint !!! with a wood stand ya might fit a 30 long in it !! which would work as well !! the floor will hold the iron stand with just four legs and 2 tanks noooooooo probs !!
Old 01-20-2004, 07:24 PM   #10
cj10488

Quote:
Also, any suggestions on where I could go for a custom stand?
I would look up in the phone book for a cabinet shop and see if they can do custom cabinets for you.. a 55gal tank weighs 550lbs I believe full without sand or LR.. You want to make sure that you tell them IT MUST hold up to 1000#s to play it safe.. If you think about it average male weighs between 180-220lbs.. Get 5 or six people to stand or maybe bounce in the area that you want to place the tank.. If you guys go thru Then Weeee the apartments pay for a tank along with maybe even a house LOL.. Just a joke but... LOL

HTH<
James

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com