Tank Weight limits and Renters Insurance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bmg213

Aquarium Advice Regular
Just curious if anyone can offer some advice on the biggest tank that would be suitable for an apartment. I am asking in regards to weight and the floor being able to hold it. I am interested in getting a 55 gal marine tank, but I am not certain about the limits of what an average floor can hold. I was considering putting it on an iron stand, Im just not a big fan of the wood stands that I've seen.

Additionally, do most renter's insurance policies cover accidents should the tank or floor give out? I know this is something Ill need to follow up with my insurance company on, but I wanted to get some comments/advice before calling them.

Thanks

The iron stands that have just four feet that touch the ground are actually worse in these considerations. The best are (usually wood) stands that touch the ground all the way around (ie, a box) so that weight is distrubuted equally.

As for weight concerns with a 55g.. I can't speak for your apartment, but everything in my signature is in a 1200sq foot 3rd floor apartment.

I think a wood stand would be better than iron because they seem to spread the weight out over more than four points. One of the main things to consider is the way the joists run. You want to run the tank perpendicular to these to spread the weight out onto as many as possible.

well in my apartment complex is pretty old or at least the section that I am in.. I have a 55gal on the floor without any issues.. My mgr stated that I can have any size tank that I wanted.. I am not familiar with renters insurance as I dont carry it.. Seems like a waste to me.. I would say that most apartments should be able to hold at least a 150gal.. I have been trying to talk the wife into letting me get the 150-180g tank for the living room but havent quite gotten to the point except when we move you can have whatever size you want.. LOL

I was considering putting it on an iron stand, Im just not a big fan of the wood stands that I've seen
Have a stand custom built.. It will be about the same price as a store bought but made exactly to your specs.. Iron just seesm to stand out and possibly rust in a SW environment

HTH<
James

Can't help with the insurance and weights, but in regards to the iron stands, one other thing to think about when deciding on stands, is that with an iron one, all of your "clutter" will show. And there's alot of it when it comes to these tanks!! With the wood stands all is hidden. Makes for a nice, neat appearance even though inside the doors is utter CHAOS!! Good Luck in your search!!

Stacy

Your floor should easily handle a 55g tank, I would have little doubt that certain items of furniture would way as much or almost as much that you don't really think about.

As far as renter's insurance, I wouldn't have lived without it in my apartment. It should cover your fish tank the same as it would a water bed.

Well, first of all thanks to everyone for such quick responses! :) Makes plenty of sense about the even distribution of weight when using wood vs. iron...and I didnt even think of the rusting issue. The reason I began to worry about all of this is because I was searching online for a 125 gal, and the company selling would not even ship to an apartment unless it was 1st floor or basement. I guess I am just a bit paranoid, but I figure if I have a 37 gal tank now and plan on a 55 gal, that is a lot of water that could potentially cause aa bit of damage to my apartment and those below me.

Also, any suggestions on where I could go for a custom stand?

Thanks again to everyone for your help!

will i gonna add my 2 cent !!! as for a 55 gallon i would go with the iron for one reason only !!!!!! ya can add another 55 on the bottom which makes a great fuge !!
i have had an iron stand for years and yea it does rust after years and/or alot of water leaking on them !! other wise before ya set it up repaint it with some better paint !!! with a wood stand ya might fit a 30 long in it !! which would work as well !! the floor will hold the iron stand with just four legs and 2 tanks noooooooo probs !!

Also, any suggestions on where I could go for a custom stand?
I would look up in the phone book for a cabinet shop and see if they can do custom cabinets for you.. a 55gal tank weighs 550lbs I believe full without sand or LR.. You want to make sure that you tell them IT MUST hold up to 1000#s to play it safe.. If you think about it average male weighs between 180-220lbs.. Get 5 or six people to stand or maybe bounce in the area that you want to place the tank.. If you guys go thru Then Weeee the apartments pay for a tank along with maybe even a house LOL.. Just a joke but... LOL

HTH<
James

I was a house builder for a while, and all I can tell you is that most likely you have a 55 gallon tank @ 10lbs per gallon - 15 to displace 50 lbs of liverock and 50 lbs of sand, add in a misc 30 lbs for lights, misc decorations, equipment, and then another 60 for a stand your looking at nearly 600 lbs. That doesn't stand a chance of caving anything. Its no different than a 36" television on a large entertainment center. As long as you don't pick the fully loaded tank up over your head and throw it down on the floor your fine. HTH, take care and good luck.

Scuba_Steve:
you still have to have a place for all your equipment? I have gone both rounds. If your single, you can get away with using an iron stand. If you have a partner, forget it get the wooden stand.

BMG213:
You can pretty much get a stand for any size tank. I would check out several LFS around you who sell a variety of stands. One thing to really look at is if the stand has any shelving. One thing I have also learned is that you need to think about your lights before getting a hood. You need to see if your comfortable with a hood that lifts up or out. I prefer the ones have doors that open toward you because if you mont lights, you wont have to lift the weight of the lights everytime you open the hood. :lol:

I believe that any tank over 4 ft long should not use an iron stand. In the past 20 yrs, I've seen two 150g 6ft tanks bow in the center due to the uneven distribution of weight and tank seams split and 150 gallons of water come spewing out.

this might not be possible for you bmg but it's worth mentioning.
www.garf.org [under diy pages] has plans to build your own stand, to any size/dimension. i just finished building a replacement stand for my 55gal tank, it took about 4 1/2hrs to build the frame. since you're in an apartment it might be out of the question. but you can save a bit of money by building your own, and the satisfaction of building one, is unmeasurable. It was pretty easy, and the stability of the stand is equal too, if not better than wood stands at an LFS.

if you have any questions about the building process, tools, and the like head over to the DIY pages, there are a few posts on the subject.

Wow, lots more useful info from everyone, thanks SO much, this makes my life much easier now. I feel much more informed on the whole subject...and just as a side note, I did find out that my specific renters policy covers the damage that could happen from a tank as long as its not the type that is built into a wall...although Im sure if I went and put a 500 gal tank on a stand and it broke, they would rethink what they told me. :)

Im sure if I went and put a 500 gal tank on a stand
at that point it's no longer referred to as a stand but more a foundation LOL :wink:

water weighs 8.3 US pounds per gallon. an average 55 gallon tank will be just about what Brisco said, I would actually go just a little higher and say around 600-700.

415 water (50 gallons in a 55 tank estimate)
+75 LR
+25 Tank
+50 Stand
+100 Sand
+25 Lighting/Misc equip
--------------------
= 690 pounds

now if you put a sump/fuge under your tank you'll be adding even more. It adds up VERY quickly. The best adive I can offer is to try and determine which way the joists run under your floor and be sure you place your tank so it is perpendicular to the joists, not parallel. Eg:
Joist = ----------
Tank = ###
------------
-----------#
-----------#
-----------#
------------

HTH

Back
Top Bottom