Tankmates for an Imperator Angel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RLG2182

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi everyone!

So I am considering an Imperator Angel. Have a 140 and 60 sump. There is a small blonde naso tang in the tank & that's it. Plenty of LR & LS.

I know these fish get big and some people say that they need a 240+ gal tank and that they should be kept alone or only with one or two fish... but I honestly think that's a bit extreme. I assume this since other fish (like the naso tang) grow the same size and most people say a 100-125 is more than good for these fish.

What says you? I would be happy to have these two fish along with a volitan lion, an eel like a zebra moray, and maybeee a heniochus butterfly OR Auriga Butterfly but only if it's not pushing it.

And no, I won't be upgrading my tank anytime soon. But who knows, maybe 5 years down the line I'll get bored with my 140 and go bigger.

Cheers! :D

Yeah... that site's usually where I start, then search other sites as well. Everyone has their own opinion I suppose. Just wanted as many opinions as possible from people who have experience with them. :D

Subscribed, I'm in the exact same situation!!!

Some people make you feel like a POS for thinking of putting a big angel in anything less than a 200G!

I was actually just about to post a thread like this :D

Dont know what a POS is but sometimes a bigger tank is needed depending on the fish. In this situation the 140 gallon tank should be OK.

Sorry I asked. I had to delete that. The link is OK as long as it`s not a commercial one.

Oops, I figured it was a family forum so that's why I starred part of it out.

Sorry about that!

That was an interesting article, thanks for posting it. Brought up some interesting points, especially about the differences in swimming needs of different fish.

This also brought up another important question that I haven't seen discussed. The amount of Live Rock, decorations, sand, plants, ornate rock, overflow boxes, etc... ANYTHING that takes up water volume in the tank. I've seen many videos/articles online of someone with a 200+ gal tank, but who have it stocked to the brim with LR, corals, powerheads, overflow boxes... and by the time you look at a profile of the tank, I would say there's less actual swimming room for big fish than a similar sized width & height tank, but around 12" deep front to back. I would look at this tank compared to a 140 +/- tank that is lightly stocked with LR, and compare them very similarly in regards to actual room for the fish to swim. Albeit there would be more rock in the 200 to help filter the water, etc.

As I do think the Emperor Angel will be fine in the 140, I wonder if the few tankmates I've chosen to get in the near future will be suitable. :bulb:

Back
Top Bottom