Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 10-19-2005, 05:12 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Tank's electrical layout?

My 55 has three power strips almost filled. PH's, skimmer, UV, pumps, lights, etc. We all have the same thing.

Now, since I'm updating to a 120 gal, I wanted a more efficient electrical layout. Does anybody have any tips, pics, websites that might offer suggestions to the power supply problem? TIA.

55 gallon
dual 175 MH w/ dual 32W PC Actinics
75# LR
runway1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 07:00 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
I have 3 independent GFI circuits ran to my tank. Each with 12 outlets. One for lights, one for pumps/heater and one for accessories (mixing water) I ran a third one for mixing water etc because if you are going to have a failure it will usually happen with equipment you are messing with or is banged around a lot. I also have my two main circulation pumps spit between two of the circuits so if one trips I will still have circulation in my tank.

*The fact that no one understands you doesn't make you an artist.
*If guns kill people...Spoons make Michael Moore fat.
Brenden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 07:35 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
An absolute must as Brenden hit on is GFI. GFI stands for Ground Fault Interupt if you didnt know. Those are the outlets that are required by building code to be placed in bathrooms close to sinks and such. If your an DIYer you could replace the existing outlets with GFI plugs. Make sure you get a circut tester and power down the outlet and then disconnect the wires and hook the GFI outlet up like the first one was. If your not that big on DIY and the cost does not make a difference http://www.hellolights.com (http://www.hellolights.com/togfshbupo.html) has a nice plug in GFI. It plugs into your outlet and then you plug your electrical equipment into that. This way if you have a failure the circut will trip at the GFI long before you become one dead aquarists or long before a fire starts due to a short circut.

Drip loops are also essensal. Basicly you should get into the habit of always running your cords so they loop down below the outlet. This way if water runs down the courd it will collect at the low point and not run into the outlet or close to the outlet.

Run the cords as cleanly as you can with zip ties. This will make everything a much cleaner install and also shorten the chance of unplugging something by accident or having something fall into the water, etc.
Remember dont tap the glass, your fish will think you're an idiot -Anonymous mother

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 08:33 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist
I used a label maker to make tags for each of the cords. I printed out what device it is twice and then wrapped the label around the cord. Now everything is neatly identified.
saltwatersmac is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com