Tank's too hot :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spinman

Aquarium Advice Freak
All,

I think I have some heat issues. My tank is running in the high 70s without the lights even on. Since adding the LR, I was advised to keep the lights off for 7-10 days.

I've tried placing a fan underneath the tank near the sump area in the hopes of cooling the water, but to no avail.

I can see my temps. creeping into the low 80s once the CFs are tunred on for 10-12 hours in the next couple weeks.

I think it's all because of the pumps going on. The return pump, skimmer pump and 2 poerheads.

I even replaced the glass top for the plastic egg crate.

Thanks for your advice.

Mike
Cherry Hill NJ

I don't think high 70s is anything to worry about. I think most people keep their tanks at high 70s or exactly 80 ideally.

I had heat issues a few weeks ago - got up to 86 at one point. I bought two really cheap clip on fans from walmart and blew them both across the top of the main tank and it lowered it a few degrees. I would blow your fans across your main tank rather than your sump and see if that helps, and cut down on the light during really really hot days.

- Skins

my tanks stay at 82-83 constantly. No harm done. It is more important to keep the temperatures stable, at a decent level, than allowing them to bounce around trying to keep the tank cool.

Wow..You guys are making me feel better...Have new 75 gal FOWLR (no fish yet), but my temp has been 81.5 during day with lights on...was getting worried. QT tank runs at about 77-77.5 I am starting to get brown algae on glass and rock though...Just due to new tank or am I getting cyano??

I have a 6" fan on my tank right now to keep it below 85 degrees. 8O

I hate hot, humid summers

Back
Top Bottom