Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-07-2015, 04:33 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Taotronic LED strength...

I have a Taotronic dimmable LED over my 40 breeder. Is this thing ridiculously strong or do I have parameter issues...

Just tested 0 ammo and 5-10 nitrate, doing a PWC now.

Im running blues on 30% and whites the lowest they'll go. Came home and most corals closed, mushrooms small, zenia looked angry, zoas mostly shut and hammer and frog retracted. I lowered the lights to the lowest they'll go blue now as well and things are looking better.

The light is 9" off of the water. I know breeders are shallow, but does this seem right??

Old 02-07-2015, 05:04 PM   #2
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

LEDs penetrate water amazingly. Much more effective than bulb units. But before I point the finger, did you just put this guy up to replace another unit? What was replaced?
9 inches above the water can seem pretty standard. I believe that my Radions are 10-12 inches above the water...but don't remember off the top of my head.
The optics may also be a factor. After years with the Radions, I'm changing out the optics in them so the light isn't all focused straight down the tank.

Sniperhank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 05:06 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Same light that's been on since inception. I did however, adjust the blues 2 clicks yesterday and think that may be the culprit. I'm gonna start back at lowest settings and ramp it back up over the next few weeks. I'm also considering nixing the whites altogether and just going blue during this time...
Old 02-07-2015, 05:10 PM   #4
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Why changing up the lighting schedule?
Old 02-07-2015, 05:13 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

If I want to do higher light demanding corals, don't I need to acclimate my softies and LPS to that higher light?

I feel like this LED at the lowest setting shouldn't be pissing corals off, but because of the depth of the tank I believe that is the reason... The problem with that, is that with the lights so low, I have very dim coverage towards the sides of the tank, as an acan basically vaporized over the last week...
Old 02-07-2015, 05:37 PM   #6
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

You will need to acclimate the corals to the lighting, but I'm not seeing why you are cutting out the whites for only blues. The loss of corals might be tied in, but I just simply don't know the time frame this tank has been set up.
Old 02-07-2015, 05:39 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

2 months. And I will not cut the whites, was just bouncing ideas off the wall...

I just keep reading about how people "start at 75% blues, and 25% whites" (only an example) with these lights... I could by no means start there, it would melt every coral in the tank...
Old 02-07-2015, 05:51 PM   #8
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

I agree with you there. I still feel the hundreds of dollars worth of coral I nuked when I upgraded to the 55 and Radions. From 4 bulb T5HO with bad bulbs to 100% Radions when I didn't set the intensity right.
As it stands in my tank, when I get new coral they start off just above the sandbed. I run them at 60% intensity and do a 4-5 week acclimation period on the tank starting at 50% intensity. Hoping that gives you some ideas?
Old 02-07-2015, 05:53 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

It does thanks. I'm still baffled by the lowest setting on this light and how corals responds I guess it is what it is and I'll learn from it.
Old 02-07-2015, 08:16 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
I am not convinced it's the light. Are you using the 120 degree optics or the 90? I run mine over my display 100% blue and 25% white (just because I like that color) and am growing sps everywhere in the tank. I keep mine 11" off of the water.
BTW, the blue and white ratio is personal taste- don't think the whites are stronger than the blues for some reason. They both (the white channel and the blue) give off around the same PAR.

Tags
led

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com