Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-06-2013, 12:05 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

No none of them sell it, my one fish store uses just distilled water from culligan the ones for water coolers

Old 01-06-2013, 12:25 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to ezy33
Maybe this site will help. Aquarium Store Finder - Map
If not try your filtered water dispenser like in front your local grocery store.

Old 01-06-2013, 12:42 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The tap water in your house runs through copper pipes, copper is not good for inverts. if you cant find ro distilled would be better, it wouldnt have any metals in it.

-Mark Twain
bigben2057 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:58 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

I actually use the "front of the grocery store" (usually Glacier) water. It's 25 cents per gallon. I will eventually get an RODI, but other expenses in life keep hitting my wallet every time I get ready to buy one. I've got a FOWLR and so far, so good. I think if I was going reef I'd pay the extra for RODI from my LFS (80 cents per gallon).
Old 01-06-2013, 01:26 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I'm new to the hobby but I've done okay with tap. Guess it depends on where you are. My tap water tests at no nitrate or phosphate. Not to say there aren't plenty of other unknown variables in the water. Just one town over the tap water is awful. It's all a matter of luck IMO
Old 01-06-2013, 01:34 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

It's not completely the nitrate or phosphates that cause problems though. There are all sorts of other things in most water that become harmful. Reading that Melosu article should make that pretty clear. The better the filtration process, the better your water. Since your water is what your fish live in, it makes sense to provide them with the best possible environment. To me, it's just part of the expense of this hobby.
Old 01-06-2013, 01:59 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Obviously I can't test for heavy metals and silicates. I do agree that an important part of fish keeping is providing the best possible environment.

Would it be fair to say that the anti-tap water notion is specifically relevant/ important to reef systems? I only ask because my brother has been running a cichlid tank for 13 years with tap only (with dechlorinator) and has never encountered a problem with it affecting his fish
Old 01-06-2013, 02:43 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

I feel that tap is probably fine for freshwater. In all honesty, I've had freshwater tanks my entire life. I've never used anything other than tap and never had any problems. There might be experts out there that disagree, but thats been my freshwater experience. Saltwater, on the other hand, seems like a more delicate ecosystem. FOWLRs give a little room for parameter fluctuations, but reefs tend to want everything just right. With freshwater, I've never been too crazy about water testing (I just keep up on water changes), but with saltwater, I can't imagine not testing frequently, even with regular water changes. It's all that stuff that we can't test for that worries me in saltwater.
Old 01-06-2013, 01:25 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

My tds of my tap water was just measures today. Im at 32 ppm. Which is just straight out of the tap, a friend with a tds meter who works for the county came by and tested, my tank is at 18 ppm so with my water ita not too bad, i want to buy ro di to top off with from now , to slowly move the tds down with my bi weekly water changes
Old 01-06-2013, 01:32 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

does anyone just use RO water without the DI?

Tags
tap water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com