Tap water !!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ive wondered that myself actually, curious about ro water as well, any thoughts on the api faucet filter ?

Distilled water from the grocery store is completely fine, it has a TDS of 0ppm. Sometimes you have to be careful using the dispensers, the stores don't always keep up with the maintenance on the filters. So you gotta make sure and test it first.

Sounds good, i just asked my dad if i can install an ro di unit on my laundry room sink line he said go right ahead! But make sure u buy the CHEAPEST unit and i cant stress enough how much he ment cheapest lol

Partly because im in the midst of building a 40 gallon breeder reef, which is adding up, lol

Sounds good, i just asked my dad if i can install an ro di unit on my laundry room sink line he said go right ahead! But make sure u buy the CHEAPEST unit and i cant stress enough how much he ment cheapest lol

Partly because im in the midst of building a 40 gallon breeder reef, which is adding up, lol

Curious to know if anybody could help steer me as well to a relatively affordable RODI unit

Ive seen a few with only two filters apose the rodi units with three filters selling anywhere from 110 -150

Purewaterclub.com has some portable units that a few people on here have and they like them. There's a portable 100gpd RO/DI unit for about $65. Not sure how much shipping is, though. Check out their website and look in right hand column under "best sellers"

When looking at the cost of the unit also ensure the filters are standard size. Portable units often have more expensive filters, increasing the cost in the long run.

Really depends on what type of tap water that you have. We have awesome tap water. We use a RO unit to top off and to do water changes. Start up is a hose from outside. Lol In a pinch I will top off with tap water with no issues.

Really depends on what type of tap water that you have. We have awesome tap water. We use a RO unit to top off and to do water changes. Start up is a hose from outside. Lol In a pinch I will top off with tap water with no issues.

I agree, my tap water is phenominal! Ive got a jug of distilled water to top off with my dkh is slightly high at 14 tho

My tds of my tap water was just measures today. Im at 32 ppm. Which is just straight out of the tap, a friend with a tds meter who works for the county came by and tested, my tank is at 18 ppm so with my water ita not too bad, i want to buy ro di to top off with from now , to slowly move the tds down with my bi weekly water changes

Wait your SALTWATER tank is at tds 18ppm? Something must be wrong with your test....seawater probably runs about 30000-40000 ppm

Yeah current test was innacurate, it had tapwater in it lol , had some issues, didnt get an exact reading, but im guessing its where your stating, cause everything is thriving, and doing great sorry about that lol

One thing about using tap water is that it nevers causes problems right away. It takes yrs of constant use before one day maybe a build up of heavy metals that is in all tap water. Maybe a build up of ammonia or nitrates that are in all forms of tap water. I work for a large water municipality so I know what we use and what others use. Good for us humans but bad for our reef tanks. Not trying to be bad but just want you to know it takes a while for the effects.

I started out using tap water on my nano tank. I am now setting up a 54g corner dt. I could nevr get my trates where I wanted with tap. lfs (30 min away) sells RODI for $1/g, $2 mixed with salt!! Grocery store 5 mins away 38¢/g. still cannot afford my own system...hopefully someday

Im having that issue as well, my trates are between 5 n 10, other then that everything is perfect

Im having that issue as well, my trates are between 5 n 10, other then that everything is perfect

When I made the switch to RO/RODI my trates drpped to zero. And I have better piece of mind I am doing right by my stock

Most my gorcers around only sell distilled water, ad its going for like 1.13 per gallon... Cant afford that or an rodi unit atm so tap it is

Most my gorcers around only sell distilled water, ad its going for like 1.13 per gallon... Cant afford that or an rodi unit atm so tap it is

Eeks; i was told I had it bad at .37¢/g for ro water from grocery and $1: rodi from lfs! Hopefully you can can afford your own RODI unit very soon.

Its gonna be tough ive been layed off for 5 months now, searching for a job isnt going so well either:(

Oh snap bummer. I am sure sometjing will cone about for you very soon. untkl then...enjou the fruits of your salty labor

Lol thanks! Im trying to get my35 going but theres two piranha in it currently lol

Back
Top Bottom