tap water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pelochas

Aquarium Advice Activist
i have my 120 gal tank and a Fluval 404 ready to go. i also have a wet/dry filter with the bio balls and a sponge filter, the return water pump is a quite one pentair 4000. do i keep the filtration separate on inline with each other? Is that possible to have the Fluval feed the wet/dry filter?

should i remove the bio balls and sponge filter? What else am I missing or recommend on installing. i wish to have a saltwater fish and live rock aquarium.

thanks,
pelochas

If you have a wet/dry filter, you don't really need the Fluval 404 unless you want to run carbon in it from time time to polish the water.
I would get some reef rubble and replace the bio balls in the wet/dry system. Over time, bio balls have been known to increase nitrates.
If it's a fowlr your after, then all you need is the wet/dry with reef rubble, a good skimmer, and plenty of lr. Also, make sure you have adequate flow from powerheads etc. Other than that, you should be good to go.

Mike

is reef rubble like bits and pieces of live rock? also do i need to clean the reed rubble in the wet.dry filter? how many power heads for a 75 gallon?

thanks,
pelochas

Reef rubble is just broken off peices of lr. I don't clean mine at all. About once a year I will clean the debris in the sump and thats it.

Power heads will depend on how much flow you want. As a rule of thumb, you will want to shoot for 10x the size of the tank: 3 MJ 1200 powerheads will do the trick for plenty of filtration. Each one is rated at 295 gph. You can get them online for around $21.00 each. They are by far the best ph I have used in the hobby, and many in this forum will agree. HTH

Mike

Back
Top Bottom