tap water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kwanlp26

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i am gonna start a 30g Fish only SW tank. is it ok to use tap water mix with IO salt? or do i need to buy the RO/DI unit? that's expensive

tap water is not recommended. you dont need a ro/di unit, you can buy bottled water if you want to make if yourself, or go to the lfs and buy the water premade, its usually like $1-1.50 a gallon.

I went to Krogers and filled a 5 gallon of RO. It took lots of trips back and forth to Krogers to get the RO Water. LFS sold it to.

so is that mean i have to speed around $30 to buy water from LFS?.....to start off my 30g......then buy more for a 25% water change during the cycle?

we've got a water treatment company (Like the Culligan man) here in town with a machine outside their offices that sells purified & drinking water @ $0.10 / gallon. We've been using purified water.

That RO/DI starts to look rather cheap over the long run. I did just buy 2 gallons of water though. I dumped it down the drain, refilled with RO/DI and made my kalk mix.

I just bought a RO system and installed it tonight. I am going to run it for a few days before adding water to my tank.

It was not to bad priced got it off Ebay. Just wonder how often you change these filters.

FYI, I get my RO water from my LFS for .50/gal.
You can shop around and call the one's in your area to see what they offer.

i bought my 6 stage 125 gpd ro/di unit off ebay for $100 including shipping. but it takes a long time to make the water.

Back
Top Bottom