Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-11-2004, 04:12 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via MSN to blaster
Tap Water Conditioner or Distilled water

Hello all,

I wanted to know which is better for salt water fish for adding water because I keep getting different answers. Some people told me that distilled water is better but I found it to be a little expensive. Then I went to my local pet shop and bought myself Aqua Plus tap water Conditioner from Nutrafin.

Know which is really goo for the salt water fish and if Tap Water Conditioner is any good which brand gives the better performance.

Old 01-11-2004, 04:18 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

di water is better imo by far !! shop around for a water machine normally like 50 cent a gallon !! or just get an ro/di unit worth the money

Old 01-11-2004, 04:41 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jamal-188
If you have a wal-mart near buy they usually have ro/di machines for $.33 a gallon.
Old 01-11-2004, 05:09 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via MSN to blaster
Why is di better than Tap water Condition? It also has a special coat to even protect the fish while the di does not have.
Old 01-11-2004, 05:18 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

di water is the puriest water ya can get !! it pulls out all unwated metals/ect!! as for the special coating !! one imo its only good for new fish that have lost it due to nets/handling/stress !! you will find that most products that offer the slime coating that it will make your skimmer go crazy !! its not that important imo !! the tap conditoner is just removing the clorine and mabe masking someothers not removing them like an ro/di unit would !!

here a ? do you have slime algae in your tank??? if so it from your water more than likly !!
Old 01-11-2004, 05:19 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

oppps hehehhe as ya see my typin' sucks heheh and didnt reread check before sent sorry !!!
Old 01-11-2004, 09:55 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

As stated, the tapwater conditioner only detoxifies chlorine and sometimes heavy metals, it does not remove impurities. Your tapwater can still be high in nitrates, phosphates, and other nutrients that will fuel algae and other detriments to your tank.
HoopsGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 11:08 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Treated tap water may also contains high levels of silicates- this will cause a diatom bloom in your tank (brown "algae like" spots on substrate) Getting a RO/DI or RO unit will clear this up too. The initial output of $$ may shock you ($130US and up, depending on model & requirements), but in the end it is well worth it; less problems to deal with down the road.

Take it from someone who learned the hard way. Tank is much better now.
Old 01-12-2004, 01:02 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have to chime in on this as well. I set up my tank initally with treated tap water and that was a mistake.. I have always done water changes and all with RO water I get at walmart and it is getting better but doing it this way is just such a bad idea...My skimmer still hasen't recovered after about 3.5 weeks of having the new skimmer on, there are more microbubbles in there than you can believe.. I know exactly where you are with the whole I have just spent a ton of money on all this now I have to buy and lug water all over the place this is crazy thinking. But belive me not going RO of the bat was almost as big a mistake as buying the Fluval 404 (should have bought a RO unit) Just go to Wal mart buy 2 of those 10 gallon jugs and add the water over the course of a few days.. It will be worth it in the end and really

Doan
Old 01-12-2004, 01:34 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

For saltwater it is the best way to go. Since you will be adding electrolytes back into the water anyway. It isn't as good for freshwater as it strips out even the good stuff.

Tags
condition, led, tap water, water condition, water conditioner

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com