Tap Water Filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bobajum

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I saw an ad in a magazine for a Tap Water Filter for about $30. It says it does 10g/hour but does not mention the lifecycle of the filter. Anyone have any experience with this filter?

Also, would something like a Brita water filter you put on the faucet be suitable for purifying tap water for a reef system?

Thanks

No to using a tap water filter, or a Brita, for a reef tank. It is better than straight out of the tap, but they are not replacement for RO/DI units and typically cost a lot more in long term cost because they wear out quickly. Also, carbon filtration (what tap water filters and Britas usually are) is just one step on really treating the water.

Check your LFS if you don't plan on installing an RO unit. Some of the LFS do give RO water for free so they can get customers into their store.

Thanks for all the great info guys.

My sister has a RO unit at her place so I guess I'll be stealing water from her place :D

i have one
and i think it does a very good job at purifiying the water
dont forget to put the resin compression spring in the cartridge b4 you use it or you might get seperation (i did)
my water tds are a bit high so i dont get more than 40 gallons or so per cartridge.

iknow yieks! only 40 gal for each cartridge

get your tds tested b4 you buy
you should get between 50 - 150 gallons per cartridge depending on your tds

all in all i like it
if your tds are good and you have a medium size tank (55 gallons or less )
it is imo a good purchase

If you are talking about AP Tap Water Purifier then the answer is yes. It is a good product that removes impurities from your tap water. Depending on the hardness of your tap water it may not be cost effective to use this type of filter. I get about 75 gallons per cartridge out of mine which is cheaper and more convenient than buying SW or FW from the LFS.

The TWP is just a DI rosin cartridge. While it will work great for a short period of time using it as the only filter is going to get expensive unless you have really good water to start with.

If you hooked an RO unit to the front it would last a lot longer.

Back
Top Bottom