Target Feeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alexrd09

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have recently started a Frag Tank and I have heard target feeding Phytoplankton such as Dr. G's to polyps and some other corals can help them grow a little faster.

Would this work with a Green brain or Pearl Bubble coral

That`s what I was refering to. Personally I dont target feed mine. They get all they need from the water column and lights. My bubble coral is 11 yrs old and green brain 9 yrs old.

Not sure what corals you are feeding the phyto to, but for the most part, most corals won't directly utilize phytoplankton. You're better off feeding the meaty foods like Melosu mentioned if you're going to spot feed.

Chances are (like Melosu said) that you don't need to spot feed anything unless you have a non-photosynthetic coral in there. The most likely result of spot feeding will be high nitrates instead of faster growth. I do occasionally spot feed our's, but only because it's interesting to observe and I make sure to do it sparingly and right before a PWC.

There`s nothing wrong with feeding if you want to but I just dont want you to think you have to. I never have.

would Marine snow work for the Zoa's?

Marine Snow is still primarily a phytoplankton supplement... but it does at least have some zooplankton in it. If I was going to spot feed zoanthids, I'd probably go with just plain zooplankton (like TLF ZoPlan or the like) or better yet use the frozen Cyclopeeze.

Like HN1 mentioned, I normally spot feed a day or two before a water change. And then it's normally just mysis/etc for things that can immediately capture the food like duncans, acans, and a lobo.

Back
Top Bottom