Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-14-2006, 11:33 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Target Mandarin

Got a target mandarin a week ago, and an additional 6 lbs .of Live rock after I read that they only eat copepods which come on live rock.

He was bullied by my Damsel for the first 2 days, but that has stopped.

He spends all his time nibbling on rocks on seems to be happy. Hardly ever swims, but he checks stuff out up top occasionally. He ate my 3 tubeworms (feather dusters ?) on my new rock right away.

Anyone have one, and can tell me it this is normal behavior?

Just want to make sure he's doing ok.

Old 07-14-2006, 12:11 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to FishFrik
Sounds like a normal mandarin to me

Old 07-14-2006, 02:21 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
How old is your tank? I believe they need a huge pod population. Will he eat prepared foods?

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 02:55 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Generally speaking, manderins require a lot of LR for long-term success. Rule of thumb is over 100+ pounds. SOme have gotten lucky and gotten their fish to accept prepared foods, but it is rare. You may consider buying pods to add to your tank for a supplimental food source. Good luck.
Old 07-14-2006, 02:58 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

tank has been setup for 3 months.

20 gallon, 2 1/2 inches of crushed coral gravel, 26 lbs. of Live Rock. 20 lbs. has been in for 30-90 days. I just added 6 more lbs. after I read up on him.

He is very small 1.75" (just under 2") long. Does not eat brine or mysis shrimp.

I also read that they may take live baby brine. None of my LFS' sell live portions of baby brine, so I bought a baby brine shrimp hatchery and made my own. I put them in the tank in two seperate feedings. They were active and swimming around. Not to be seen the next morning on either occasion, so they were definitely eaten.

He's not displaying any signs of stress, or unhappiness, I just want to make sure he has enough to eat as I don't actually feed him anything.

None of my other fish (bicolor blenny, blue damsel, and true perc clown) have eaten any anemones or tubeworms, so I would assume that it was him that got my 3 tiny feather dusters on my newest rocks. I did not witness them being eaten though.

Edit: As for buying pods. I looked into it at LFS's and no one carried anything like that. Is there a place online I can order from?
Old 07-14-2006, 03:01 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but...this is not a very good choice for your small young tank. Manderins are awesome fish and it is very easy to see why they are so attractive to hobbiests. However, they have very specific dietary needs and many simply slowly starve to death in ill-prepared tanks.
Old 07-14-2006, 03:17 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

I found a store about 20 miles out that sells Reef Nutrition Tigger Pods ( http://www.reed-mariculture.com/copepod/index.asp ) so I will try to add live pods, and see how it goes.

thanks for the help.
Old 07-14-2006, 03:20 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Good luck. It seems a very expensive route to go. Make sure you ask if liquid in th bottle of pods is safe to dump in your tank without fouling the water. A HOB fuge may be worth looking into as a place cultivate your own pods.

BTW...love the pic of the firefish!
Old 07-15-2006, 10:33 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

By the time he has that hob fuge established it may be too late. Once you have the fuge, look to getting some macro. The algae is usually swarming with pods. This will probably be an uphill battle, though.
Old 07-17-2006, 10:04 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

Try soaking your brine in garlic for about 30 minutes before feeding. It has worked for me.

Tags
mandarin

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com