Tax Return Aquaria Purchase

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TLTGF

Aquarium Advice Addict
I typically try to "break-even" at tax time and go with the closest refund to $0 I can. This year I'm getting back $750. Who knew Student Loan interest was that big of a write-off!

Anyway, I have two options:

Put the money into paying off some student loan debt which would allow me to pay it off exactly (1) month earlier

or...

Purchase an Ecotech Radion LED module

I've looked quite a bit into the LED's and while this is expensive, a lot of people seem to think they are great and it would be IMO a nice jump up from my 24" 4-bulb AquaticLife T5 fixture. (Also DIY LED's seems like something I'd rather not do at this time - even as a better alternative.)

I've been nudged away from purchasing a Reef controller at this time, my Koralia 750's are providing fantastic flow, so no need to upgrade to the MP40's, Skimmer is already accounted for, so an LED upgrade seems like the next step.

I'm guessing I could sell my T5's for some money back. As far as livestock, I've got (5) fish in my 54 gallon and I'm happy with that. I'm just about maxed out for corals, though I am looking at expanding a bit. I have (5) SPS now but would like to house more. So all-in-all I have (2) questions?

Am I being ignorant and I should just leave well enough alone?

Is anyone else using Tax refund to purchase Aquaria related stuff?

No if ur gunna be a reefer reef hard! One month of student loans Just means youll have this money minus the interest at the end instead of now!

Sharklover said:
No if ur gunna be a reefer reef hard! One month of student loans Just means youll have this money minus the interest at the end instead of now!

That makes sense to me lol but I am not practical I would choose accessories everyday

If your SPS are doing well under the T5's I wouldnt worry about it and look into somthing else that you don't have. What about a fuge? ATO? A reactor of some sort? Not familiar with your tank so I can only start guessing and listing...

TLTGF said:
I typically try to "break-even" at tax time and go with the closest refund to $0 I can. This year I'm getting back $750. Who knew Student Loan interest was that big of a write-off!

Anyway, I have two options:

Put the money into paying off some student loan debt which would allow me to pay it off exactly (1) month earlier

or...

Purchase an Ecotech Radion LED module

I've looked quite a bit into the LED's and while this is expensive, a lot of people seem to think they are great and it would be IMO a nice jump up from my 24" 4-bulb AquaticLife T5 fixture. (Also DIY LED's seems like something I'd rather not do at this time - even as a better alternative.)

I've been nudged away from purchasing a Reef controller at this time, my Koralia 750's are providing fantastic flow, so no need to upgrade to the MP40's, Skimmer is already accounted for, so an LED upgrade seems like the next step.

I'm guessing I could sell my T5's for some money back. As far as livestock, I've got (5) fish in my 54 gallon and I'm happy with that. I'm just about maxed out for corals, though I am looking at expanding a bit. I have (5) SPS now but would like to house more. So all-in-all I have (2) questions?

Am I being ignorant and I should just leave well enough alone?

Is anyone else using Tax refund to purchase Aquaria related stuff?

My income tax is going straight to my tank. Im starting my first 75 gallon reef and so far I have the tank and stand. Got a lot to go!

Put into your student loan. It's a PITA to have debt after college.

Thanks guys. Quite honestly, I'm still on the fence. I've been working for about (15) months on paying off debt which I've paid off about $35,000, using the ol' Dave Ramsey debt snowball stuff. So far I've paid off (2) Credit cards, my Truck, my Motorcycle, and my boat. and now I've got the school down to $5500 from $9000. My "celebration" for the payoff of this in August was going to be the lights anyway, but I just figured why not.

My SPS are doing well, but are they thriving? Hard to say. I'm sorta looking ahead as well to a possible upgrade and with the lights I'd only have to buy one more to cover the future tank.

As I said, thanks all. I'll update my thread when I decide what to do and again thanks for all the suggestions / advice!

well if youve gone from 40 something thousand to 5500 then i would say spend a little on something you want but at the same time if the plan has worked that great for this long why not see it threw then youll have all the money to do whatever you want to your tank

I gotta admit I was in the same boat yesterday then saw a tek elite 6 bulb so took my taxes and got me a new fixture/legs/bulbs and 6 new corals and definitely don't regret it lol..id say you earned a little "gift" for all your hard work ; )

I know people are suggesting to leave something that works but why not get something that works even better! Plus LEDs look 10x better on the tank because of their shimmer

Seems like u payed off a lot and u don't have that much to go so give ur self a reward and get them lights cuz there awesome

Back
Top Bottom