TDS reading and green hair algae problem!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Cheap vodka or expensve vodka it doesn't matter its all the same. I use to dose vodka but have switched to vinegar its alot cheaper

Thank you for all the replies, I'm feeling confident about getting rid of this stuff now, was close to breaking everything down. I'll change out the resin later and then make some water to test, I'll post results on here. Thanks again.

Finally got round to changing out the resin in my rodi unit today, tested the water 1st and got 86 Tds, changed the resin let the unit run for an hour then tested the Tds again and got 12 tds, do you think changing the other 2 cartridges will get it back at 0?

mrwizard said:
Finally got round to changing out the resin in my rodi unit today, tested the water 1st and got 86 Tds, changed the resin let the unit run for an hour then tested the Tds again and got 12 tds, do you think changing the other 2 cartridges will get it back at 0?

Ya you either have very bad water or the rest of the cartridges need changed cause I never see higher then 7-8 TDS into my Di

Mrc8858 said:
Ya you either have very bad water or the rest of the cartridges need changed cause I never see higher then 7-8 TDS into my Di

Well the water straight from tap reads 200+ so the unit must be working hard to get it down, haven't got time to go Lfs this week but gonna grab the other two cartridges next week, not due a w/c til next week anyway so should be ok.

My reef been running 20 years and never needed vodka dosing. I consider that extreme. Water changes, good flow, controlled feeding and a clean up crew is all you should need.

Gregcoyote said:
My reef been running 20 years and never needed vodka dosing. I consider that extreme. Water changes, good flow, controlled feeding and a clean up crew is all you should need.

+1 on last post by gregcoyote finding the reason for excessive nutrients should solve the problem keeping a reef as natural as possible leads to longevity

danbstrong said:
+1 on last post by gregcoyote finding the reason for excessive nutrients should solve the problem keeping a reef as natural as possible leads to longevity

That's what I plan, want to be as natural as possible, I've ordered another Powerhead to help stop leftover food and what not settling on the rocks, and nearly have my rodi unit producing 0tds just need to replace the 2more cartridges and hopefully that will sort it. I need a good clean up crew to, I have a few snails that keep the sand bed clean, but think I need some hermits.
Went to work on the tank today aswell to clean some of this mess up and I'm quite pleased with the outcome. I'm starting to like my tank again!

Attachments

• image-123486475.jpg
    image-123486475.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 83
mrwizard said:
That's what I plan, want to be as natural as possible, I've ordered another Powerhead to help stop leftover food and what not settling on the rocks, and nearly have my rodi unit producing 0tds just need to replace the 2more cartridges and hopefully that will sort it. I need a good clean up crew to, I have a few snails that keep the sand bed clean, but think I need some hermits.
Went to work on the tank today aswell to clean some of this mess up and I'm quite pleased with the outcome. I'm starting to like my tank again!

For bottom tank cuc i highly reccommend tongan nassarius snails no food will settle on bottom without nass devouring i have 25-30 in my 55g

danbstrong said:
For bottom tank cuc i highly reccommend tongan nassarius snails no food will settle on bottom without nass devouring i have 25-30 in my 55g

Do they clean up leftovers on the rocks? I've never seen my nassarius snails on the rocks, their always buried in the sand til I drop some food in, my clean up crew is seriously lacking, I have about 8snails, sand sifting starfish and 1 red hermit if he's still alive, haven't seen him for a few days.

Gregcoyote said:
I'm thinking about ordering some Turban Snails. They can right themselves I have heard. Anyone use them?

If they can right themselves I want some, I'm forever seeing snails upside down lol

My Nassarius go on the rocks sometimes, and on the glass at times too- although the glass part might just be for laying eggs, cuz they don't eat algae as far as I'm aware. And my Nassarius can right themselves too. Pretty handy. :) I have about 20 in my 55g.

My Nassarius go on the rocks, and the glass sometimes too- but that might be to lay eggs cuz they don't eat algae as far as I know. I have about 20 in my 55g. Also I highly recommend a conch for the sandbed. I have a all one and a big one in my 55g and thy do a great job keeping the sanded clean.

Beengirl said:
My Nassarius go on the rocks, and the glass sometimes too- but that might be to lay eggs cuz they don't eat algae as far as I know. I have about 20 in my 55g. Also I highly recommend a conch for the sandbed. I have a all one and a big one in my 55g and thy do a great job keeping the sanded clean.

Yes my nass also go on rocks and glass nothing gets past em :) i also have serpent star good cleaner my cuc consists of 25 nass 1 serpent maybe handful of turbos few hermits in my 55g
As you can see they do great job

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20121015_044329.jpg
    ForumRunner_20121015_044329.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 71
danbstrong said:
Yes my nass also go on rocks and glass nothing gets past em :) i also have serpent star good cleaner my cuc consists of 25 nass 1 serpent maybe handful of turbos few hermits in my 55g

Every time I see your tank I wanna take one of those red monti that you have!! I have the green - wanna get red. My green is starting curl up, though. So I got that goin for me. :)

danbstrong said:

Definitely need to up my cuc then, the snails and starfish clean up my sand real good already, I just need to get some that take care of the rocks and the bottom of the glass, I can take care of the rest on my weekly clean.
Love your tank by the way, got some real nice colours in there, think I need to add some reds and purples to mine.

Back
Top Bottom