Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-10-2012, 11:07 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

Cheap vodka or expensve vodka it doesn't matter its all the same. I use to dose vodka but have switched to vinegar its alot cheaper

Old 10-11-2012, 05:10 AM   #22

Thank you for all the replies, I'm feeling confident about getting rid of this stuff now, was close to breaking everything down. I'll change out the resin later and then make some water to test, I'll post results on here. Thanks again.

Old 10-13-2012, 12:56 PM   #23

Finally got round to changing out the resin in my rodi unit today, tested the water 1st and got 86 Tds, changed the resin let the unit run for an hour then tested the Tds again and got 12 tds, do you think changing the other 2 cartridges will get it back at 0?
Old 10-13-2012, 01:17 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwizard
Finally got round to changing out the resin in my rodi unit today, tested the water 1st and got 86 Tds, changed the resin let the unit run for an hour then tested the Tds again and got 12 tds, do you think changing the other 2 cartridges will get it back at 0?
Ya you either have very bad water or the rest of the cartridges need changed cause I never see higher then 7-8 TDS into my Di
Old 10-13-2012, 01:31 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrc8858

Ya you either have very bad water or the rest of the cartridges need changed cause I never see higher then 7-8 TDS into my Di
Well the water straight from tap reads 200+ so the unit must be working hard to get it down, haven't got time to go Lfs this week but gonna grab the other two cartridges next week, not due a w/c til next week anyway so should be ok.
Old 10-13-2012, 03:25 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

My reef been running 20 years and never needed vodka dosing. I consider that extreme. Water changes, good flow, controlled feeding and a clean up crew is all you should need.
Old 10-14-2012, 01:07 AM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote
My reef been running 20 years and never needed vodka dosing. I consider that extreme. Water changes, good flow, controlled feeding and a clean up crew is all you should need.
+1 on last post by gregcoyote finding the reason for excessive nutrients should solve the problem keeping a reef as natural as possible leads to longevity
Old 10-14-2012, 05:49 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by danbstrong

+1 on last post by gregcoyote finding the reason for excessive nutrients should solve the problem keeping a reef as natural as possible leads to longevity
That's what I plan, want to be as natural as possible, I've ordered another Powerhead to help stop leftover food and what not settling on the rocks, and nearly have my rodi unit producing 0tds just need to replace the 2more cartridges and hopefully that will sort it. I need a good clean up crew to, I have a few snails that keep the sand bed clean, but think I need some hermits.
Went to work on the tank today aswell to clean some of this mess up and I'm quite pleased with the outcome. I'm starting to like my tank again!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-123486475.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	130.0 KB
ID:	124883  
Old 10-14-2012, 09:37 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwizard

That's what I plan, want to be as natural as possible, I've ordered another Powerhead to help stop leftover food and what not settling on the rocks, and nearly have my rodi unit producing 0tds just need to replace the 2more cartridges and hopefully that will sort it. I need a good clean up crew to, I have a few snails that keep the sand bed clean, but think I need some hermits.
Went to work on the tank today aswell to clean some of this mess up and I'm quite pleased with the outcome. I'm starting to like my tank again!
For bottom tank cuc i highly reccommend tongan nassarius snails no food will settle on bottom without nass devouring i have 25-30 in my 55g
Old 10-15-2012, 12:09 AM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I'm thinking about ordering some Turban Snails. They can right themselves I have heard. Anyone use them?

Tags
algae, hair, hair algae

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com