TDS Reading out of whack??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RLG2182

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey everyone!!

Well... it's time to mix up new SW. Figured I'd test out what was in my bucket and compare to local water. Tap came out at 175ppm. I have a 22 gal bucket of RO/DI water that I use for my auto-topoff. Just for fun, I tested the water in there... and it was 298ppm!?

Didn't think this was possible... tested tap at 175 again, tested several times with the bucket water at 298/299ppm. I gathered a cup straight from the RO/DI nozzle and it was 000/001ppm. Can water gather junk that will show on a TDS meter merely by sitting there?? I have a powerhead circulating the water, and the bucket is always covered. I can always get rid of the 15 gal of water in there and start over... even with a new bucket if I need to.

How is this possible that the water in the auto top-off tub is 298ppm while tap is only 175ppm, and straight from RO/DI it's 000ppm?

TIA! :D

Must be same dirt or sand or something in you container. Or it could be the container is leeching into the water. What kind of container are you using to store your water?

Sterilite 22 gal tub. (1940 Titanium 073149940834). Nice big grey one. Nothing else has been put in the tub... and I never recalled getting this reading directly from the tub a couple months ago when I filled the tank the first time.

Only thing I did was move it to a different location in the room... like... 2 feet away. :wink:

Hmmm... so I couldn't find more info on it... seems food safe though.

Could the TDS build up over time by evap or something? Do I even need the PH in the tub if it's just fresh water? (I know you need one for the mixed SW). :?

I don't have a PH in my top off water. I put one in just to pump the water out when needed. I have not tested my brute container lately but last time I did, it tested fine.

I used to use a cheap 32 gal sterlite container I got from Target and it would leech a bit.

ellisz said:
I used to use a cheap 32 gal sterlite container I got from Target and it would leech a bit.

Yeah... I got it at Target too! :? Not sure if I should just buy new tubs. Could I use these to hold my LR when I do my new aquascaping? Sucks to have to buy all new stuff. hah. Thanks! :D

Back
Top Bottom