Temp change

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jschier

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm experiencing a temp change from around 77 to 84 daily in my reef tank. I'm troubleshooting it now and believe it's the proximity of my LED light (it 2080) to the tank. It sits about 6" above the tank. Although there isn't a great deal of heat under it (hand test) the temp is high when it's on and lower when off. As I solve this, just wondering what effect this will have on my corals (softies, lps, mushrooms etc) until it's fixed?

I doubt it's your LEDs. Mine are about that high off the surface. How much equipment do you have submerged? Also what type/how old is your heater? To answer your question I think you can be ok. There is a video on YouTube of mike pilleta talking about how his corals seem hardier after having a routinely high temperatures (accidentally) . The big thing for you will be to not change this too quickly. You'll have to slowly bring down the temp. Also, what style tank are you running?

The tank is a 110g, the heaters are brand new eheim 300w (started with 2 for redundancy). I have a mag 9.5 return pump and a GSM skimmer in my sump. I put a temp gauge in the sump and it reads the same as the DT. A majority of my livestock (according to LA) like 72-78 so I'm ok with 78 but 84 seems to high. I removed the glass covers to get it down. I'll keep on watching the changes and try to determine what's causing it.

The tank is a 110g, the heaters are brand new eheim 300w (started with 2 for redundancy). I have a mag 9.5 return pump and a GSM skimmer in my sump. I put a temp gauge in the sump and it reads the same as the DT. A majority of my livestock (according to LA) like 72-78 so I'm ok with 78 but 84 seems to high. I removed the glass covers to get it down. I'll keep on watching the changes and try to determine what's causing it.

Did you calibrate your eheim heaters? I've purchased about 10 of these with different wattage. Not one of them came fully calibrated. All were at least 1° off with one off by 5°F.

This is why I'm a big fan of heater/temperature controllers..... It's very difficult to set two separate heaters to keep a tank within a degree or two.

So things have steadied out now, the biggest change was the removal of the glass tops. Of course my ATO is working overtime so I will partially replace the tops in bits to see the effect.

Back
Top Bottom