temp dilema

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ohio reefer

Aquarium Advice Freak
my tank usually runs at 80 degrees, when ihave MH's on it runs a 84 degrees. is this ok for corals? it is just starting to get warm here and i'm nervous about this summer.

What's the lighting setup..pendant, hood? Are the fans in the fixture? What wattage lamps? If there aren't fans you may want to think about getting some to cool the fixture.

400 wt hood with two 55wt actinic for 120 gal. there is a fanit is a seven inch fan it seems to work really well it heats up the room very well!

i've heard of some people puting fans under the tank to blow on the sump and fuge, but i'm worrried about more evaporation.i loose about 2 to 2.5 gallons every two days.

thanks

mark

I am running into the same delimma. I have only fish (5) in a 125 with LR. Mine flucuates from 78-80. I live in TX and wonder about the flucuations as well. I have on reg flor ..about 80 watts total.
I have 2 built in small fans into the canopy but wonder if there is a DIY type deal to where you can buy regular small fans from say Walmart and set them up to blow across the top of the water?? Just a thought…Wish there were more people that posted things like this.

Ohio...A 4 degree swing isn't terrible but if it increases you could be stressing the corals and/or fish. A second fan in the canopy might help, it sounds like the existing fan exhausts, adding a fan that blows in from the other side could help or fans on top to exhaust heat upwards. Its hard to say without seeing it or knowing more. Fans blowing over the sump or the tanks surface would facilitate evaporative cooling but as you've said that would increase your rate of evaporation. What do you think is causing the rise in temperature, the lights or the room temp. A simple solution could be to AC the room.

Fishman...a 2 degree temp swing IMO isn't bad at all, actually compared to what I've read from others its actually pretty good Especially in Texas.

really i get a 1 degree swing from 81 in the day to 80 at night and i was about to stress out. wow now i feel better. but that was in the winter and now that summer is comeing i will have to see how bad it gets then.

I have 2 fans in the canapy. They are the 5 inch ones. I think they are set to blow down from the outside of the canapy to the inside. I do not have any fans in the sump area...maybe thats another option. I dont really care about the evaporation as RO water is cheap here. I only have 80 watts of light FLOR....I think the AC being turned on will help BUT in TX it gets to around 95-100 in the summer and its only 70-75 NOW!! The guy I bought the tank from didnt have a chiller and he had a reef so Im sure I can make something work.
Thanks

You can go to Radio Shack and pick up the replacement computer fans they carry. Take an extention cord and cut the "female" end off. Peel back the rubber casing and connect it to the fan with wire nuts. I would also suggest wrapping it with electrical tape and making sure there is a drip loop to keep water from running into the connection. I did this on mine and it works great!

Squishy

have 2 fans in the canapy. They are the 5 inch ones. I think they are set to blow down from the outside of the canapy to the inside.

Turn one of them around, with both of them blowing into the canopy then you are blowing the heat into the water. turn 1 around and you will be bringing in cooler air on 1 side and taking out warmer air on the other. HTH

As a Texas boy myself, I have been having about 5 degree temp swings and I know that is not anywhere near OK. I just bought a chiller for $335 and it should control my 60 gallon very easily.

Well 60 gallon or less will probably be more likely to heat up....125 gallons is a LOT of water and will take longer to heat up. I refuse to pay this much for a chiller. I would rather run my AC and let my dog and myself enjoy the cooler home at night!! thanks for all the info

Back
Top Bottom