Temp flux (welcome to winter)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

biotoxin

Aquarium Advice Freak
I dont know how many of the ppl that frequent this board live in colder areas but lately here (norcal) its been getting fairly cold. When i go to bed my tank is around 80 and when i get up its around 75 and the heater is on tryin to get it back to 80. Any advice on how to keep this stable?

well ive been debating throwing it in my new skimmer where the output water comes from. i dont think i need 2 heaters tho for a 10g , seems overkill

You may need a more powerful heater as well. What size is it currently?

I have found, that with my store, I have to have heaters in the 350w area for my 40 gallon tank. This is because the ambient temperature is so low in the building at times (i.e. 40 degrees F) that the smaller ones won't even put a dent in the water temperature.

The heater may be malfunctioning - be very careful, 'cause when they "go", they tend to stick ON.

It may not be set at a high enough temp? Don't go by the temp setting on the heater ~ these are largely unreliable - use a separate thermometer.

You've got no fans running when the lights are off, right?

<shrug> - We use 5 x 350w heaters (yes, I need windmills in my backyard for my own power supply). This maintains our winter temps at 79F day (heaters off, MH's on), and 78F night.

its a POS heater and im gona get a jager soon. It was one i bought just to get one it has no temp reading on the top just turn to adjust and watch the thermometer.

If you want a really good heater, buy a Won Pro titanium heater. I will never buy another glass heater again. These things rock. They just seem to heat the water faster and keep the temperature more stable than any other heater I have use used in the past. I should know as I have 10 different heaters sitting in a box in my back room. No I am not exaggerating. When we sold turtles I went through a ton of them.

They are about the same price as the Jager's as well.

ya i was looking at those but i was lookin at visitherm, they have titanium as well but i will definitely check out the won pros. thanks :)

Stay away from the Jalli titanium heaters. I bought one and it never kept the temp. stable and it completely died in less than a year. It was a waste of money at like 30 bucks or something. Now I'm back to the visi-therm glass heater.

I got a WON pro titanium digital too Biggen...and that thing can HEEEAT effortlessly. I love it and really like the stability, I'm used to ebo jagers so this was a little venture for me to try something different when I didn't have to, but it's superduper. Digital display = temp at a glance.

I also keep a mercury floater just in case though.

mmmm digital display. aagghh. i hate looking at those stick on thermo's and the suction cup crap one i have in the tank. Should just have a fake little plastic fish floating around with the temp displayed on it...hey..thats an idea :D

Yeah, snapcrackler went for the Pro Heat II. The difference between the Pro Heat and Pro Heat II is that the II has the digital thermometer built in. For me it wouldn't have helped much since it is all in the sump and I have no area to put it in good view of the front of the tank.

Both are great heaters and you can't go wrong. Probably one of the best purchases I have made for the tank and the least expensive as well.

Hey, yeah, I'm in Sacramento and I have had the same problem all week.. It's the warm days COLD nights thing... I have a 350 ebo jager and 2 weeks ago I couldn't keep the tank under 80, now it's 75 in the mornings, 80 by evening...

I've been playing with the temp set a bit, and it seems to help. woke up this morning and the tank was at 78 (whew) ... now as long as it's not 90 when i get home, we're all good!!!

p

hehe no kidding i have that fear too, ill crank it up in the morning and have fish soup by noon :)

I would get a decent quality 100W heater. Set it to 80F and it should have no problems keeping your tank up to temp. Heaters are one item you should not skimp on when it comes to equipment as more often than not you truly do get what you pay for.

My heaters have no problem maintaning a temp close to 80F in the winter. I keep the heat in the house at a cool 68F so that means the heaters have to bump up the water temp to 12F above abient. The higher you have to get your tank temp above ambient the larger the heater you need. I have a 100W in a 20 gal and a 150W in a 45 gal and a pair of 250W in my 80 gal.

Back
Top Bottom