Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-28-2013, 09:52 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Temp swing-any suggestions appreciated

My temp is swinging from 77-84 I've turned my heater off and the tank isn't in direct sunlight...I have two power heads, and two filters running...not sure what I can do maybe cut the power heads off at night? I can't afford a chiller. It's a 37 gal bf

Old 04-28-2013, 09:59 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Bad idea to turn off heater. Your light is heating your water during day time. A fan can help cool down your tank by pointing it at a wider side surface. Then set your temp closer to where your max reading during day time like 80 or 81

Old 04-28-2013, 10:11 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

But what's odd is that I've cut the hours of my lights over the past week...they come on around noon and off around 730. I just gave two t5's...would they throw out that much heat? I'm sure my apartment temp has something to do with it as well now that's its warmer..but I can't control that. I'll try a fan though.
Thank you
Old 05-04-2013, 12:49 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have a 28 gal nanocube and I have found that the 2 circulating pumps included with it are generating heat. With lights off the temp reads 83 deg but with lights on reads 85 (heater off) at room temp of 78. I might have to cut down 1 pump and stagger lights at day time during summer. I have to set heater at 80 to prevent large swing.
Old 05-04-2013, 12:56 AM   #5
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

get a better heater that holds a steady temp sounds like you have one of those cheap wal mart heaters there only 25 watts I had one in my 40 and forgot to replace it forever
get a 75 watt your issue will go away
Old 05-04-2013, 01:05 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

whats the temerature in your house? atmospheric temerature has a bigge effect on the temperature of your tank. one year my mom decided since we were outside the whole day she would turn the AC off to save power, it was 30+*C and let me tell you, the temperature in my 26 gallon at the time launched up to 84*Fand kept climbing till i found out the AC was on and thats why the house was gettign so hot.

some aquarium heaters don't have thermostats, atleast not accurate ones and they are set only to be adjusted to maintain a certain temperature above the room temperature. i no longer use that heater anymore and my tank has since been moved into my basement where the temperature is more concistant

Tags
suggestions

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com