Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-12-2004, 10:32 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Temp swings

I'm getting temp swings of 2-4F in any given 24hr period, jsut wondered if this is going to be acceptable when I start keeping corals?

If its not any advice on how I could (cheaply) temp control the fans I have so that they come on if the tank goes up by say 1F? & then turn off again once its back down?

Cheers Shelton.

30gal tank, 20kgs Fiji + 4kgs Madagascan LR, bare bottom, 2 x Maxijets 900, AquaC Remora skimmer, 10W D&D UV using a spraybar on surface for return,Maxijet 600 + spraybar behind LR, Ecco 2234 running RowaPhos/GAC, 150w visitherm.
Custom Built lid; 2 x T5 megatwin (4x39W Aquablue+); 4 moonlights.

IKS with temp & PH probes, controlling lights,heat & cooling fans.

Percula Clown; Banggai Cardinal; Firefish; Mandarin
2 Cleaner Shrimps; 3 Peppermint Shrimps; 1 Blood Shrimp
1 Large Feather Duster; 1 Hard Tube Coco Worm; Yellow Cucumber.
6 Red Legged Hermits; 1 Green Emerald Crab; 16 Dwarf Blue Leg Hermits; 3 Zebra Hermits; 3 Popsock Hermits
22 Turbo/Astrae Snails; 20 IO Snails
Shultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 10:41 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

You still need fans? It's cooled down here quite a bit so I had to switch mine off.

Is the room quite hot? What kind of temps are you getting?

Click HERE to vote for Aquarium Advice!
Atari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 11:16 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I would say 2F daily swing is the max fluctuation acceptable. You may want to raise your heater temp to compensate unless you are over 84f.
46g SW, 65 lbs Fiji LR, 4" Aragamax DSB, Coralife 2X96w CF, CPR Bakpak II, CPR Aquafuge 12 w/ 2x9 Coralife Mini Aqualight, 4 Maxijet 600's, PCI 200W Titanium Heater, 2 Blue Green Chromis, 1 Gold Bar Maroon Clown, 1 Purple-Stripe Dottyback, Finger Leather, Trumpets, Rose Coral Open-Brain, Pagoda Cup, Xenia, Star Polyps, Yellow Polyps, Various Mushrooms, Toadstool Leather, 12 Astraea, 10 Nassarius, 4 Bumble Bee, 6 Cerith Snails, 12 Red Tip Hermits.
phases99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 11:54 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Atari & Phases99:

I have an enclosed lid with 4xT5's in it, gets surprisingly warm....

Its normally that during the day when the lights are on I have 2x92mm PC fans blowing air in through the back @ 7.5v which keeps the temps stable'ish around the 81-82 mark (quite loud though), now after 7pm its just the moonlights on, but I've found if I don't have the fans on at all it has crept up to nearly 84f! but with the fans on all the time it drops as low as 79.4f, atm I have them on a timer to come on & go off for an hour at a time in the evening/early morning.

The trouble is during the day if I switch the fans to a lower volts it doesn't keep the high end temp stable, but of course it doesn't drop as low at night.

I don't wanna have to crawl under the tank twice a day to alter the voltage on the fans, thus I wondered if I could somehow monitor the temp which would then turn the fans on if the temps gets high enough & off again once it lowers?

The only thing I've seen to do this is an IKS & it looks to me as if I'd have to spend around £250 to get the unit & the 4 way gang lead for it I suppose if I add a PH probe for another £60 atleast it would be doing 2 things?

Cheers Shelton.
30gal tank, 20kgs Fiji + 4kgs Madagascan LR, bare bottom, 2 x Maxijets 900, AquaC Remora skimmer, 10W D&D UV using a spraybar on surface for return,Maxijet 600 + spraybar behind LR, Ecco 2234 running RowaPhos/GAC, 150w visitherm.

6 Red Legged Hermits; 1 Green Emerald Crab; 16 Dwarf Blue Leg Hermits; 3 Zebra Hermits; 3 Popsock Hermits
Old 09-12-2004, 12:54 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

What is your heater set to?

Old 09-12-2004, 01:17 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

79.5 iirc

cheers Shelton.

Old 09-12-2004, 05:43 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you set it to 81 then you should be fine to just leave the fans running without getting much of a drop.

Old 09-13-2004, 12:30 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Temp is one of the biggest challenges for smaller tanks. I don't know how the nano guys do it. As Atari said, raising your heater to about 81F or so should stabilize you enough.
46g SW, 65 lbs Fiji LR, 4" Aragamax DSB, Coralife 2X96w CF, CPR Bakpak II, CPR Aquafuge 12 w/ 2x9 Coralife Mini Aqualight, 4 Maxijet 600's, PCI 200W Titanium Heater, 2 Blue Green Chromis, 1 Gold Bar Maroon Clown, 1 Purple-Stripe Dottyback, Finger Leather, Trumpets, Rose Coral Open-Brain, Pagoda Cup, Xenia, Star Polyps, Yellow Polyps, Various Mushrooms, Toadstool Leather, 12 Astraea, 10 Nassarius, 4 Bumble Bee, 6 Cerith Snails, 12 Red Tip Hermits.
phases99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 03:33 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

thanks guys

Cheers Shelton.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com