Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
View Poll Results: Do you want to follow a Temperate SW reef tank build?
I own a temperate SW tank. Welcome aboard! 0 0%
I'm tropical, but I look forward to your progress. 5 62.50%
There are other sites for igloo fish, go there. 0 0%
I don't care what you do. Do you have cookies? 3 37.50%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-13-2010, 02:42 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

Yea i'm sure there is some way to become a certified collector of local species. Have you checked into that?

Dorm Pico Tank
Jimbo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 03:36 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo7 View Post
Yea i'm sure there is some way to become a certified collector of local species. Have you checked into that?
Thats what I was doing when I went to the aquarium. Apparently collecting and keeping them are two different ball games and I got side tracked by the keeping them part.

Edit: In case I misunderstood what you meant, the aquarium director said there were permits I could get to keep a local aquarium but the resources required made it prohibitive for the average person

Deep Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 03:41 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Just giving everyone an update.

There is a lot more work/money involved then I had first anticipated. There are a number of elements that are more expensive and more difficult, the biggest being the chiller, which is very expensive, and "impossible" to DIY. I plan to build a chiller and post DIY plans. I will also be building my own tank, which could get tricky because I've never anything like that so it may take a while, which sucks because I really want to get an aquarium going.

Also, it's been 20 years since I owned an aquarium. So it occured to me it might be wise to start a freshwater tropical tank first, and since I was considering starting one at some point anyways, and doing so could jump start my learning curve on the temperate SW tank which could save me a lot of head aches in the future, and I'm all for anything that reduces headaches.

Hope to have another update in a month or two.
Old 09-21-2010, 10:37 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to pat8you
I know that acrylic is a better insulator then glass tanks. If you are going to make your own tank i wonder if you could try and make your tank well insulated by using thick acrylic.

Is this going to be a stand alone tank or an in-wall tank. If you were willing to do inwall you could easily insulate the non-visible surfaces of the tank and possibly even have an air gap front viewing pannel like they do in windows these days. Air is an even better insulator then acrylic.
Old 09-21-2010, 11:02 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah, acrylic is about 5 times better insulator then glass. My plan is to use plywood/fiberglass for the bottom and three sides, and acrylic for the 4th side. I'm going to play with the shape a bit to get the viewing angles I want.

I'd love to do in-wall but my landlord would not approve. Also, I've been considering going double pane. If I end up using glass instead of acylic it will be double pane for sure.
Old 09-21-2010, 11:21 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to pat8you
Apperently you are way ahead of me. You going to insulate the plywood surfaces of the tank?
Old 09-21-2010, 11:35 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Possibly, the plywood/fiberglass will already be really good already compared to my viewing pane, but I may add that inch thick stryofoam insulation to the outside and then finish it with some nice looking wood. It would be a bit bigger and bulkier, but it would look nice and save money on chilling costs.
Old 09-21-2010, 04:21 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Seven View Post

Also, it's been 20 years since I owned an aquarium. So it occured to me it might be wise to start a freshwater tropical tank first, and since I was considering starting one at some point anyways, and doing so could jump start my learning curve on the temperate SW tank which could save me a lot of head aches in the future, ...
Why not start a tropical saltwater tank, versus a freshwater? Big difference between saltwater and freshwater, and if you do your learning curve on saltwater the only difference you're looking at is temperature. (Yeah... I know that's a BIG difference, but the chemistry is still the same.)
Old 09-21-2010, 04:35 PM   #19
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt_Nelson View Post
Why not start a tropical saltwater tank, versus a freshwater? Big difference between saltwater and freshwater, and if you do your learning curve on saltwater the only difference you're looking at is temperature. (Yeah... I know that's a BIG difference, but the chemistry is still the same.)
+1 for sure. Get in the habit early of monitoring and testing the added levels of a SW tank. in my albeit limited experience, fw is much more forgiving.
Dorm Pico Tank
Jimbo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 05:39 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt_Nelson View Post

Cost and size. I want to do at least 90g+ for my saltwater reef and I don't really have anything for it. For my freshwater set-up, I have tanks and some gear, and the gear I need to buy and make won't be too expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo7 View Post
+1 for sure. Get in the habit early of monitoring and testing the added levels of a SW tank. in my albeit limited experience, fw is much more forgiving.
Thats one of the reasons I'm going with a heavily planted FW aquarium. It will simulate some of the extra care I need to put into a SW set-up and be more forgiving. I will have to monitor the nutrients in the water and fortify as needed to keep my plants growing strong.

I'm also watching someone set up a tropical reef first hand, and thats teaching me a lot of things not to do

Tags
reef, reef tank, sw reef, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com