Temperate SW Reef Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Do you want to follow a Temperate SW reef tank build?

• I own a temperate SW tank. Welcome aboard!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm tropical, but I look forward to your progress.

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • There are other sites for igloo fish, go there.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't care what you do. Do you have cookies?

Votes: 3 37.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Deep Seven

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm "working" on a temperate SW reef tank. It's still in the planning/design phase. It's going to take me a while, hopefully have something going by christmas, with my full build serveral months later.

I have two questions;
1) are there many (or any) temperate SW aquarists on this site?
2) would this site be interested in following a temperate reef build and the resulting tank?

The more I think about and plan this build the more passionate I'm getting. I really want to do an awesome display of local marine fauna and flora. While there are some differences between a tropical and a temperate venture, there are a lot of parameters that remain the same and all advice is apreciated.

I don't know of anyone with a temperate aquarium. Perhaps you could call/email the vancouver aquarium. I think a professional may help you on your way for keeping local flora and fauna alive inside an aquarium. I've always wanted to a Texas native aquarium but I've never had the funds to assemble a large enough aquarium to house the larger species found in our waters.

I'd be very interested in watching this come together though.

The largest problem is acquiring temperate livestock from a reputable supplier.
Yeah, I'm thinking of becoming a specimen collector myself (the reputable variaty). I know of someone who is and I'm going to talk to him and see whats involved.

Those are all great links, another that I draw inspiration from is Jons blog. Unfortunate he had to take it down, it was a phenomenal tank.

Coldwater marine aquarium Blog

I have seen the tank that is on the oregonreef site and it is really a beautiful tank. Look forward to seeing your progress.

On a side note, i would like a new choice that combines "i would like to follow your progress" and " do you have cookies". I love cookies.

right and wrong

0X

There is a disturbance in the force. We must stand up for what is right in the face of tyranny. We are not stong. If a conflict arises we will be squashed. We must avoid confrontation with the despots, and spread our message of peace, love and beauty to the people!

On a more serious note, I went to visit a public aquarium today. I figured they would be a good resource for the feeding and handling requirements of some of the fish and plants I want to keep. So I started asking the aquarium director some questions. He quickly realized what I was trying to do, and told me it was illegal to keep local species and not to try setting up an aquarium. Then he winks at me...

He was feeling uncomfortable with the discussion inside his aquarium, so he asked me to step outside so he didn't have to wink at me all afternoon. Once outside we had a discussion on the reasons for the draconian laws on local fishkeeping. The main issue being they don't want fish released back into the enviroment. It can spread diseases, genetic weaknesses and invasive species.

At the end of our coversation he said to me that I am "dialed in" on the issues, that if everyone would be as informed and responsible as me they could allow native species in private aquariums. He said that while legally I was prohibited from making a temperate aquarium, morally I had every right to do what I was planning.

one has a moral responsibility to disobey unjust laws
-Martin Luther King

In the end the aquarium director told me to avoid inviting the fish cops over when they're wearing their uniforms.

This definately gives me pause. Now I understand some of the true forces preventing temperate SW aquariums. It's not the chicken and the egg, it's not supply and demand. Its the government telling us we can't. Now I can see myself at some point openly challenging the government over the aquarium, as an effort to drum up public interest and support, but thats neither here nor now.

So I'm still considering a temperate tank. It won't be as big as I'd originally planned. I think it might be more focused on displaying a few different species rather then a hodge podge of everything. And I'm working on keeping it in an undisclosed location for now. If they wanna stop me they will have to send their gestapo.

Now I debated with myself over whether to disclose this information, but utimately disobeying an unjust law while hiding does no good. People must see the law in action and feel the injustice of it if we are going to produce change.

Sorry for the long post, and I hope I didn't alienate too many people, but I felt honesty was required.

That's right, you're from canada. Hmm. It looks you are going to have to become a collector. Down here we go on collection trips and use seines, dipnets and minnow traps.

Yea i'm sure there is some way to become a certified collector of local species. Have you checked into that?

Yea i'm sure there is some way to become a certified collector of local species. Have you checked into that?

Thats what I was doing when I went to the aquarium. Apparently collecting and keeping them are two different ball games and I got side tracked by the keeping them part.

Edit: In case I misunderstood what you meant, the aquarium director said there were permits I could get to keep a local aquarium but the resources required made it prohibitive for the average person

Just giving everyone an update.

There is a lot more work/money involved then I had first anticipated. There are a number of elements that are more expensive and more difficult, the biggest being the chiller, which is very expensive, and "impossible" to DIY. I plan to build a chiller and post DIY plans. I will also be building my own tank, which could get tricky because I've never anything like that so it may take a while, which sucks because I really want to get an aquarium going.

Also, it's been 20 years since I owned an aquarium. So it occured to me it might be wise to start a freshwater tropical tank first, and since I was considering starting one at some point anyways, and doing so could jump start my learning curve on the temperate SW tank which could save me a lot of head aches in the future, and I'm all for anything that reduces headaches.

Hope to have another update in a month or two.

I know that acrylic is a better insulator then glass tanks. If you are going to make your own tank i wonder if you could try and make your tank well insulated by using thick acrylic.

Is this going to be a stand alone tank or an in-wall tank. If you were willing to do inwall you could easily insulate the non-visible surfaces of the tank and possibly even have an air gap front viewing pannel like they do in windows these days. Air is an even better insulator then acrylic.

Yeah, acrylic is about 5 times better insulator then glass. My plan is to use plywood/fiberglass for the bottom and three sides, and acrylic for the 4th side. I'm going to play with the shape a bit to get the viewing angles I want.

I'd love to do in-wall but my landlord would not approve. Also, I've been considering going double pane. If I end up using glass instead of acylic it will be double pane for sure.

Possibly, the plywood/fiberglass will already be really good already compared to my viewing pane, but I may add that inch thick stryofoam insulation to the outside and then finish it with some nice looking wood. It would be a bit bigger and bulkier, but it would look nice and save money on chilling costs.

Also, it's been 20 years since I owned an aquarium. So it occured to me it might be wise to start a freshwater tropical tank first, and since I was considering starting one at some point anyways, and doing so could jump start my learning curve on the temperate SW tank which could save me a lot of head aches in the future, ...

Why not start a tropical saltwater tank, versus a freshwater? Big difference between saltwater and freshwater, and if you do your learning curve on saltwater the only difference you're looking at is temperature. (Yeah... I know that's a BIG difference, but the chemistry is still the same.)

Why not start a tropical saltwater tank, versus a freshwater? Big difference between saltwater and freshwater, and if you do your learning curve on saltwater the only difference you're looking at is temperature. (Yeah... I know that's a BIG difference, but the chemistry is still the same.)

+1 for sure. Get in the habit early of monitoring and testing the added levels of a SW tank. in my albeit limited experience, fw is much more forgiving.

Cost and size. I want to do at least 90g+ for my saltwater reef and I don't really have anything for it. For my freshwater set-up, I have tanks and some gear, and the gear I need to buy and make won't be too expensive.

+1 for sure. Get in the habit early of monitoring and testing the added levels of a SW tank. in my albeit limited experience, fw is much more forgiving.

Thats one of the reasons I'm going with a heavily planted FW aquarium. It will simulate some of the extra care I need to put into a SW set-up and be more forgiving. I will have to monitor the nutrients in the water and fortify as needed to keep my plants growing strong.

I'm also watching someone set up a tropical reef first hand, and thats teaching me a lot of things not to do :)

Back
Top Bottom