Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
View Poll Results: Do you want to follow a Temperate SW reef tank build?
I own a temperate SW tank. Welcome aboard! 0 0%
I'm tropical, but I look forward to your progress. 5 62.50%
There are other sites for igloo fish, go there. 0 0%
I don't care what you do. Do you have cookies? 3 37.50%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-11-2010, 02:55 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Temperate SW Reef Tank

I'm "working" on a temperate SW reef tank. It's still in the planning/design phase. It's going to take me a while, hopefully have something going by christmas, with my full build serveral months later.

I have two questions;
1) are there many (or any) temperate SW aquarists on this site?
2) would this site be interested in following a temperate reef build and the resulting tank?

The more I think about and plan this build the more passionate I'm getting. I really want to do an awesome display of local marine fauna and flora. While there are some differences between a tropical and a temperate venture, there are a lot of parameters that remain the same and all advice is apreciated.

Deep Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 03:51 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I don't know of anyone with a temperate aquarium. Perhaps you could call/email the vancouver aquarium. I think a professional may help you on your way for keeping local flora and fauna alive inside an aquarium. I've always wanted to a Texas native aquarium but I've never had the funds to assemble a large enough aquarium to house the larger species found in our waters.

I'd be very interested in watching this come together though.

Old 08-11-2010, 11:02 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

You sure know how to pick challenges. The largest problem is acquiring temperate livestock from a reputable supplier.

Some schtuff for you to check out:
Oregonreef.com
Feature Aquarium: Try A Cool, Refreshing Temperate Marine Aquarium | Advanced Aquarist's Online Magazine
Temperate Reef Marine Center
Dorm Pico Tank
Jimbo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 12:48 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
The largest problem is acquiring temperate livestock from a reputable supplier.
Yeah, I'm thinking of becoming a specimen collector myself (the reputable variaty). I know of someone who is and I'm going to talk to him and see whats involved.

Those are all great links, another that I draw inspiration from is Jons blog. Unfortunate he had to take it down, it was a phenomenal tank.

Coldwater marine aquarium Blog
Old 08-11-2010, 11:16 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to pat8you
I have seen the tank that is on the oregonreef site and it is really a beautiful tank. Look forward to seeing your progress.

On a side note, i would like a new choice that combines "i would like to follow your progress" and " do you have cookies". I love cookies.
Old 08-11-2010, 11:47 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to Aquarium1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pat8you View Post
On a side note, i would like a new choice that combines "i would like to follow your progress" and " do you have cookies". I love cookies.
+1
Aquarium1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 10:25 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Tagging along, seems like a very interesting project.

-Chuck
Krypt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 10:31 AM   #8
HN1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Likewise.
Old 08-13-2010, 02:11 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

right and wrong

There is a disturbance in the force. We must stand up for what is right in the face of tyranny. We are not stong. If a conflict arises we will be squashed. We must avoid confrontation with the despots, and spread our message of peace, love and beauty to the people!

On a more serious note, I went to visit a public aquarium today. I figured they would be a good resource for the feeding and handling requirements of some of the fish and plants I want to keep. So I started asking the aquarium director some questions. He quickly realized what I was trying to do, and told me it was illegal to keep local species and not to try setting up an aquarium. Then he winks at me...

He was feeling uncomfortable with the discussion inside his aquarium, so he asked me to step outside so he didn't have to wink at me all afternoon. Once outside we had a discussion on the reasons for the draconian laws on local fishkeeping. The main issue being they don't want fish released back into the enviroment. It can spread diseases, genetic weaknesses and invasive species.

At the end of our coversation he said to me that I am "dialed in" on the issues, that if everyone would be as informed and responsible as me they could allow native species in private aquariums. He said that while legally I was prohibited from making a temperate aquarium, morally I had every right to do what I was planning.

Quote:
one has a moral responsibility to disobey unjust laws
-Martin Luther King
In the end the aquarium director told me to avoid inviting the fish cops over when they're wearing their uniforms.

This definately gives me pause. Now I understand some of the true forces preventing temperate SW aquariums. It's not the chicken and the egg, it's not supply and demand. Its the government telling us we can't. Now I can see myself at some point openly challenging the government over the aquarium, as an effort to drum up public interest and support, but thats neither here nor now.

So I'm still considering a temperate tank. It won't be as big as I'd originally planned. I think it might be more focused on displaying a few different species rather then a hodge podge of everything. And I'm working on keeping it in an undisclosed location for now. If they wanna stop me they will have to send their gestapo.

Now I debated with myself over whether to disclose this information, but utimately disobeying an unjust law while hiding does no good. People must see the law in action and feel the injustice of it if we are going to produce change.

Sorry for the long post, and I hope I didn't alienate too many people, but I felt honesty was required.
Old 08-13-2010, 02:21 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

That's right, you're from canada. Hmm. It looks you are going to have to become a collector. Down here we go on collection trips and use seines, dipnets and minnow traps.

Tags
reef, reef tank, sw reef, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com